Thread: Help!!! Falling Drill Press Taper Problem

Help!!! Falling Drill Press Taper Problem

My drill press taper keeps falling out, with the chuck still attached. I've tried cleaning the mating surfaces with solvent, and it stays for awhile, but then eventually (not to long a time), it fall out again as I'm drilling some wood. I was wondering if putting the taper in the freezer to shrink it, then put it back it the press to expand would help. Any Ideas?

Thanks
    Bart
    Measure Once, Cut twice, Curse@#$, Buy More Lumber!

Bart,
    The freezer trick usually works fine. If that doesn't work, a small amount of Lok-tite blue would do the trick. I had the same problem a while back on my inexpensive DP.

FWIW, Wes

Also, try cleaning the taper with Scotch-Bright, seems to add a bit of grip the mating surfaces.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Bart,
    In the booklet that came with your drill press there is a procedure for setting the chuck and taper. Look for a procedure that says something along the lines of using a piece of lumber located under the chuck firmly press.........

Regular old white chaulk on the taper then a good smack with a mallet when it is installed should do the trick. I know it sounds foolish but it works, it's something I found somewhere sometime. One of those bits of memory I just can't tell you where it came from.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Dan - Yes, That's how I usually seat my taper. Its a bit frustrating that its not working.

Got the taper in the freezer. I'll probably try a combination of using scotch brite and chaulk dust. After all this good advice, I'll be surprised if the problem isn't fixed.

Thank you all so much for your helpful advice. I must appologize for not hanging around here more. I was one of the original members, then sort of fergot about this forum for awhile. Your a decent group of fellow woodworkers.

Bart
    Last edited by Bart Goldberg; 10-28-2005 at 10:21 PM.
    Measure Once, Cut twice, Curse@#$, Buy More Lumber!

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Goldberg
    ...Got the taper in the freezer. I'll probably try a combination of using scotch brite and chaulk dust. After all this good advice, I'll be surprised if the problem isn't fixed...
    If you do all of that, it may take a sledge and a 6' pry bar to get the chuck out next time??

Bart, when I assembled my Grizzly 20" drill press, I cleaned the mating surfaces with alcohol: the chuck, taper, and quill. I then put the taper in the refrig freezer for a couple hours. I took it to the shop and inserted it in the chuck and with a piece of wood on each in, I gave it a couple good raps with a ball peen hammer. Then I quickly inserted that assembly in the quill and cranked the quill down firmly against a couple pieces of scrap wood. That was about 3 years ago, and it hasn't budged since. Clean mating surfaces and a freezer-cold taper seem to be the magic combination.
    Best Regards, Ken