Thread: A few keepsake boxes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. A few keepsake boxes

I have been wanting to make some keepsake boxes for some time now and finally found the time. I have made 13 all together and will be gifting them to family this Christmas. Here are a few of them. Finish is Oil and polly, velour fabric bottoms, brass pin hinges. Enjoy....

Walnut and maple

Maple and wenge

Lacewood Maple and walnut burrell

Walnut and maple

That's not a goof...It's a design feature.
    Dewayne

Express Creativity With Wood.

I sure like the maple and wenge box! Nice work.

They are all nice,but my favorite is the second one. All the color combinations are atractive, but I think the modernness of design is most complemented by the black and white. Finely made boxes are often used to keep and protect things of great value,but the eye does not want to see them in a "strong box". The top edges of the box sides could be thinned a little more to make them as lean as the dividers.

Very creative and well executed. Nicely done, kudos!

nicely done - very attractive boxes - and I like your photography skills as well.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    They are all nice,but my favorite is the second one. All the color combinations are atractive, but I think the modernness of design is most complemented by the black and white. Finely made boxes are often used to keep and protect things of great value,but the eye does not want to see them in a "strong box". The top edges of the box sides could be thinned a little more to make them as lean as the dividers.
    thakns, I considered thining the profile but with the brass pin hinges I wanted piece of mind that the pin is set deep enough to be durable.

They are fine pieces and will be received with delight and treasured. The suggested change might not be practical for that design , you make a good point about those pins. Will look forward to more!

what is your attachment method on the legged style ones, just small tenons from the legs to the frame? I do a lot of humidors, but want to try something may of this style on a few to play with new ideas.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

9. Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    what is your attachment method on the legged style ones, just small tenons from the legs to the frame? I do a lot of humidors, but want to try something may of this style on a few to play with new ideas.
    hi Alex, I think you're refering to the Asian style box. Those legs are attached with mortice and loose tenon. I used a shop made router jig that works much like the multi-router machine.

What tool do you use to set the curve on the outside? Are you just curving a long single board then miter joining them?

11. Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    What tool do you use to set the curve on the outside? Are you just curving a long single board then miter joining them?
    Yes, I made a couple angle cuts at the tablesaw with the piece on edge to rough out the desired curve. Then lots of sanding. When im content with the profile I make the miter cuts.

very grand gifts. I would be pleased with any of them .
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great results with a variety of wood! Christmas will be special for a lot of folks this year.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!