Thread: Dust collection

Dust collection

I am finally setting up a wood shop and would like to see if anyone can share opinion/insight into dust collection. I will be the only person working in the shop 99% of the time. Therefore, I will only be using one tool at a time. I have purchased a Sawstop 3.0 ICS and hope to locate a used 8" jointer. The other significant dust, wood chip producer will be a small Dewalt 13" planer. I had settled on an Oneida V-system 3.0 hp. The local Woodcraft dealer has informed me that this system will not be sufficient and strongly recommends the Oneida Dust Gorilla 3.0 hp. This is considerably more expensive, approximately $600.00 additional. He compared the static pressure stats of both systems and as I said he feels the V-system wil not perform adequately. The shop is only 24'x24', so the runs will not be longer that 15' to 18'. Has anyone had experience with these systems. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ask Oneida themselves https://www.oneida-air.com/static.as...-selector.html the last question give you different options depending on ceiling height I choose less than 8' it gives you more options.
    I am also looking at the V3 and was thinking it over kill for about the same equipment, but the price is not that much different.
    You can also call them directly they are great to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by jack dempsey View Post
    I am finally setting up a wood shop and would like to see if anyone can share opinion/insight into dust collection. I will be the only person working in the shop 99% of the time. Therefore, I will only be using one tool at a time. I have purchased a Sawstop 3.0 ICS and hope to locate a used 8" jointer. The other significant dust, wood chip producer will be a small Dewalt 13" planer. I had settled on an Oneida V-system 3.0 hp. The local Woodcraft dealer has informed me that this system will not be sufficient and strongly recommends the Oneida Dust Gorilla 3.0 hp. This is considerably more expensive, approximately $600.00 additional. He compared the static pressure stats of both systems and as I said he feels the V-system wil not perform adequately. The shop is only 24'x24', so the runs will not be longer that 15' to 18'. Has anyone had experience with these systems. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Methinks your Woodcraft dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. Nothing wrong with your choice - plenty of people on this forum using the Oneida V-3000 and are happy with it

I don't have either of those systems, but think that either should be plenty.

Jointers and planers produce more chips than dust. The primary purpose of dust collection is to keep it from getting clogged with chips. My Ridgid lunchbox planer has a 4" port and it came with an adapter for a 2.5" shop vac. My 6" jointer also has just a 4" port. Gravity pulls most of the chips into the cabinet. The dust collector's job is simply to move the chips out of the way.

The tools that need stronger dust collection are the ones that throw fine dust. The worst offenders are tablesaws, miter saws, and sanders.

Tablesaws are not designed for good dust collection. The chips mostly get thrown upward and there is not a lot of air movement below the saw that can catch it. A zero clearance insert and the board itself are in the way. Effective dust collection needs to take place above the saw with something like a shark guard. A 4" port above the saw and another 4" port below should work reasonably well. Any DC system with a 6" primary port should be fine.

Mitersaws are another tool that make dust collection difficult because the head has so much mobility. Build a shroud around the saw with a 6" port.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Methinks your Woodcraft dealer doesn't know what he's talking about. Nothing wrong with your choice - plenty of people on this forum using the Oneida V-3000 and are happy with it
    I totally agree. I have a grizly that is probably less efficient than the Oneida you are looking at and i have a jointer, planer, table saw, radial arm saw and router table hooked to it with blast gates. Everything is set up within approx 8' of the dust collector and it works just fine. I did add a separate air filtration system but that is mostly for small particles from sanding.

Questions about an Oneida system should always be posed to Oneida, not a Woodcraft franchise...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Id also say without knowing ductwork placement and lengths and number of wyes and elbows you do not kow the static pressure you will need to overcome and the cfm requirements you will require. Many folks make generic recommendations based on the cost of duct work and not on data. When you call a professional be armed with details. Do yourself a favor and pull down the Air Handling's pdf on ductwork design or by Sandor's book and read up. You buy a collector based on the needs of your system. Based on what I read here there is not enough info to make an informed decision yet. Just my .02.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Jack,

I agree with Mike about determining your static pressure needs for your shop. I was surprised how my short runs (similar to yours) had a SP around 4.5 just for 6" piping. If you add in for a seasoned filter, any flex, reductions in pipe size etc. you might be surprised what your system will need. That said, with 6" ducting and fairly straight runs, either system should perform well. The woodcraft dealer was correct in saying the Gorilla Pro would perform better than the V system (strictly speaking about airflow). Looking between 6-8" of SP, the V provides 800-1050 CFM and the Gorilla 1100-1250 CFM, Both are more than "adequate". Once you figure your pipe layout you will have a better idea.

Hope that helps.

Let us know what you do.

Carl

Thanks for the reply, I will call them directly.

Thanks for the information. It does seem to me to be adequate for my purposes. I will review again and give Oneida a call.

Thanks, I appreciate the information.

I appreciate the information, it seemed to me that it would be adequate. I will get on the phone with Oneida and review machinery, measurements etc.

Evan,
    That makes me think the V-system will be sufficient. I think I will follow the advice of several here and contact Oneida.