Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trotec vs. Epilog vs. ULS

Post Trotec vs. Epilog vs. ULS

What are your experiences with Trotec, Epilog, and ULS? Specifically the Eplilog Mini/Helix/Fusion, Rayet 300, Trotec Speedy, and any other ULS machines.
    -Pros vs. Cons.
    -What are the best deals some of you may have gotten in the last year? Private messages are welcomed if it is not allowed to post on here.
    - If you have had or currently own both, is there one you prefer more?

Currently we are leaning towards the Trotec Speedy 300 as the local Epilog dealer seems to be too busy for us. Takes forever to get a response by email so we would hate to have to go through that if we purchase one of their machines and need to reach out for support. ULS on the other hand has not responded at all. Is this typical from these companies? All opinions and advice will be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I've only owned Epilogs. They are very solid machines with fantastic support. I did almost buy Trotec on my last CO2 purchase. They have an excellent line of machines as well. You are going to find solid Epilog & solid Trotec people here. In my case I went with Epilog again because it's what I knew & felt comfortable with. Just Epilog's support alone gives them the edge in my book. If I'm forced to give an unbiased opinion - it's a coin toss.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Is support usually with the local dealer? Our local Epilog dealer doesn't even respond to emails within 48 business hours and I usually have to email a couple times before I get a response. Often times rude and seem not want our business.

Trotec has a large staff of tech people and is extremely helpful. Support is by telephone or email.

There is no local support with either Trotec or Epilog. ULS for that matter as well.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-10-2017 at 7:44 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Ohh ok. So once the local dealer sells you the machine, you no longer contact them for support?

Correct - dealer is for purchases only... unless you have a fantastic regional dealer - I know of only 2 that fit the bill that offer more such as training classes, workshops etc...
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I have a fantastic regional dealer. I could tell you a very long story about him, but the short version is, without him I'd probably still be renting cars or flipping Dennyburgers ...
    But there's a catch. He's a New Hermes/Gravograph dealer. See my signature
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I think it TOTALLY depends on where you are. If you are in TX, then there is a great Epilog dealer there. Most folks it appears contacts factory tech for help after purchase. But it would have a lot to do with the dealer and what he offers.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

John

In 20 years of working with ULS, (my first machine) 2 Epilog machines, and Trotec for the past 11 years as well as being active on the forums I have known of two dealers who will assist their customers, one an Epilog dealer in Texas and the other, a ULS dealer in S. Cal. There is a Troec rep in the Southeast who has a good reputation in this regard and another in Illinois. Otherwise, you work with tech support by telephone or email. That has worked quite well in my experience.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I've owned all 3, still own a Universal and Trotec. The Trotec spanks the ULS on every aspect. 90% of all CO2 laser work runs across our Trotec. It's our "Go To" machine. If I had to buy another laser today, there would only be one choice for us. It would be a Trotec.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I've owned both an Epilog and a Trotec. I loved them both. Our used Epilog was a workhorse that never let us down, and it was a 10 year old machine when we bought it. Our Trotec has also been a beast of a machine and is fast. Chris Cudmore with Trotec has always been available for questions and help, and he's always gone above and beyond the sale. That's always stood out to me, and I believe people have had similar experiences with their Epilog salesperson.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80 watt
    Synrad 30 Watt - CO2 Galvo
    LaserStar 3804 - 50 watt fiber - SPI Source
    Tykma Minilase - 20 watt fiber - SPI Source - (MOPA)
    CorelDraw X7

Where are you located, Jay?
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    John

In 20 years of working with ULS, (my first machine) 2 Epilog machines, and Trotec for the past 11 years as well as being active on the forums I have known of two dealers who will assist their customers, one an Epilog dealer in Texas and the other, a ULS dealer in S. Cal. There is a Troec rep in the Southeast who has a good reputation in this regard and another in Illinois. Otherwise, you work with tech support by telephone or email. That has worked quite well in my experience.

That is definitely good to know! Do you know who I can contact for the ULS in S. Cal?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette Brewer View Post
    Where are you located, Jay?
    California

Try this place

www dot kluzinternational dot com
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software