Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felder KF 700 S Professional Option

Felder KF 700 S Professional Option

Hi Guys,

I like to get some feedback from any who might have the KF 700 s or similar type of setup. Currently I in my limited space shop (22'x32') I have the Felder K 500s with the 9' slider plus a MiniMax Formula T1 shaper. Both are basically taking about half of my shop space and thinking that if I combine them like the Felder KF 700s I would save some space plus other benefits like a slider for shaper operations, changeable router spindle for router, and tilting spindle. My only concern is regretting having separate machines. Have any of you all done the switch and have any regrets?

Thanks,
    Albert

Albert, I have a full combo and used to have separates. A combo of any kind becomes inefficient if you're frequently switching between functions during a project. If your projects or work practices allow you to do all of your shaping in one batch then I don't see a combo as an issue. Felder has made the switch from saw to shaper and back again easier by enabling you to replicate the fence settings quickly and easily (a locating pin in the shaper hood provides positive registration) so the remaining variable is the cutter height. This again can be replicated as long as you stack the cutters/spacers in the same way and remember the height readout.

You have already listed the benefits.

One other thing to consider is whether you'll be using a power feeder or not. These typically get in the way when you're using the sliding table saw for wider, long cuts to the right of the blade so they have to be mounted on a tilting support platform. Some feeders can be hefty and lifting them up or down on the Felder support platform can be simple with a gas strut to help take the weight. I wouldn't recommend trying it without

if you are in a small space you probably have a low ceiling, you could mount your feeder on the ceiling i had trolly I made for mine and could slide it left or right over a 3 plus foot length above the table saw, . faster to position as well as my left right came off the track and not cranking the handle in and out.

I went from a Sawstop ICS and a Powermatic model 26 shaper to a Felder KF700SP. I really wanted to move to a slider and a combo machine was my only option for the space I have. I was very worried about going to a combo but I was able to make it work. I don't ever want to give up the slider but I am building a new large shop and one of my first upgrades will be a separate shaper. Too often I've had to break down the shaper for a cut on the saw and even when flipped down the power feeder seems in the way.

Use the separates more and buy a new space

Man the 700 saw shapers are nice!

Joe will you do a slidiing shaper separate machine? I highly recommend them.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    I have the KF700SP with a 2800mm sliding table in a 30'x34' shop, with Powerdrive it is child's play to get back to previously calibrated settings.
    If I had unlimited space and funds.....
    In my opinion, a shaper without sliding table is like a car on three wheels, the safety aspect alone justifies the investment.

I am actually wanting to go separate from my full length combo. if setting up time is not an issue to you then go the KF700.

Hi, I have a Hammer B3 Winner saw/shaper with the tilt up stock feeder.

I went from a General cabinet saw and shaper to the Hammer.

I also have a small shop and the combo reduced my space usage a lot. I do not regret going with the combo. The MF spindle system is nice, you can have 30mm, 1 1/4" and router bit collets. The 30mm spindle allows you to use saw blades/dadoe cutters in the shaper, and course tooling is often less expensive in 30mm bore if you wait for sales.

regards, Rod.

The beauty of the saw shaper is that if you ever find more room, a second small saw or a fixed table shaper can be added at a cheap cost. Having two shapers, one with a sliding table is sweet. The 700 quill assembly and internals are much heavier than the Hammer so it is a step up. As you use a shaper, you will find that large diameter cutters are great and there is a comfort in a heavier spindle and quill. If looking at the 700, you should also compare to the Minimax st 5. Felder has more accessories, MM may be a little heavier build. Look at ease of squaring the crosscut fence and attaching a feeder. Design of the shaper fence is also huge. Both make a good fence although I give the edge a little to the MM. Felder sliding table is second to none. knowledge is power, do some comparison shopping. Dave

I will 2nd what Joe J. said. I switched over from separate Powermatic tablesaw and shaper to a KF700SP. I love the space savings of my Felder but it seems whenever I'm using the shaper setup I have to break it down for a few cuts on the saw. If I ever have the chance to own a larger shop I will get a designated shaper and it will be a sliding table Felder.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to keep a separate setup and replace my current 15" planer & 8" jointer with jointer/planer combo from either minimax or felder.

Also would it be worth replacing my current MiniMax shaper with one that has a slider like Felder's?

Thanks,
    Albert

Hi Albert, I use the sliding table a lot for tenons, or for smaller pieces that I can clamp to the table...........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Chio View Post

Also would it be worth replacing my current MiniMax shaper with one that has a slider like Felder's?

Albert
    A sliding table is nice on pretty much any machine IMO. Like Rod mentioned, cutting tenon's with a slider is really nice.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Chio View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to keep a separate setup and replace my current 15" planer & 8" jointer with jointer/planer combo from either minimax or felder.

Thanks,
    Albert
    There are two types of slider a shaper can have.

one type is on its X axis (most common)

another type is on its y axis, like this:
    48702_020.jpg48702_018.jpg

This is my favourite type but its not common and you might have to buy new. I dont think I will ever buy anything that does not have a slider. even a bandsaw has slider these days.