Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gasoline powered tablesaw

This is a beautiful and unique table saw. I've never seen anything like it! Very nice restoration!

As already suggested, you can check with OWWM and Vintage Machinery (same group).

However, this table saw may have a particular interest among those who deal with old hit/miss and steam engines and tractor collectors. The summer season is a good time to find outdoor show and events where you display or buy/sell. Try googling and see if you can find an event near you in the near future. There are several all over the USA in the next 2-3 months. You will certainly have a lot of people interested in your beautiful saw and someone is bound to have a wealth of knowledge.

Very cool saw! Can you post some pictures of the top?

yes the blade comes up through the entire slot. The bolt holes are for the miter gage.
    .100_3212.jpg

Here are more pictures taken during rebuild. It will usually start with the first pull, but don't try to pull if engine is on compression stroke. The old motor name plate was trashed so I removed it and took the cowling to Sherwin Williams and they color matched it. I made a new nameplate. I also color matched the paint behind the medallion on the saw. I have a friend that has a sheet metal shop and he fabricated the two end pieces. I found a new piston and rings on ebay. The rod has a babbit bearing so I checked the clearance with plastigage. I also found a nos gasket kit on ebay. It didn't have the magneto or carburetor. I found a mag on ebay and found a nos carb. The apparatus seen in the first pic raises the blade. Included are pages from the sales brochure. It shows a 6.5hp motor which was the predecessor to the 8.5hp. The 6.5hp was discontinued in 1942. Also included is the 4cyl. I would love to find one of them.

Attachment 365472Attachment 365473Attachment 365474Attachment 365475Attachment 365476

Attachment 365477Attachment 365480

That LQ for the trailer is looking really nice and comfortable!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I saw a couple of those gasoline powered table saws at old logging camps in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Both were rusty and appeared to be powered by multi cylinder motors. Perhaps old model T engines?
    DSCN0877 (Medium).jpgDSCN0878 (Medium).jpgDSCN0879 (Medium).jpgDSCN0880 (Medium).jpg
    I also added a shot of early chainsaws
    DSCN0881 (Medium).JPG
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Nice job on the restoration. Good old Wisconsin engine. In the day they were a very dependable engine. The orange looks good on it but the ones I was around were always gray. Not meaning to split hairs though.
    We had a JI Case A6 harvester (combine) when I was a lad, powered by a gray Wisconsin two cylinder engine. Rope start - when it was cold. All the gods at my old man's beck and call - and he called on a lot of them - couldn't start the thing hot. But for all that, I'd trade my desk this minute for a day in the field combining oats. That stubborn old Wisconsin, a John Deere A pulling it along, pop-pop-bang, and the smell of straw, oil, gasoline, and mashed grasshoppers. Life was good.

just wanted to say thanks for all your great comments

Blog Entries
    Awesome job! You have a ton of patience : )

So does the table slide or the blade move forwards and backwards? Still not clear on that point. Would love to see a video of this in operation.

The blade moves up as the foot pedal is pressed. There is large wingnut that is used to lock the blade in place. The table will tilt up to 45 degrees.