Thread: Need Vertical sheet good storage ideas

Need Vertical sheet good storage ideas

I’m reorganizing my sheet good storage in my garage. I’m not looking for intricate swing out storage or to build a big rolling storage cart. Just need to store sheet goods against the wall.

I don’t have a ton of stuff to store. I was thinking something like mounting some slightly angled vertical boards to the wall to allow the sheet goods to lean against the wall and not topple. Maybe rip some 8’ long scraps on a 5-10* angle and use that.

Some details: I need this to take up very little floor space, so the have to be oriented parallel to the walll. I have 11’ ceilings or so in my garage and have two rows of hardwood storage above where I will have plywood storage. I was thinking one row for full sheets another half row for cut offs allowing other storage above it.

Ideas?
    Last edited by Matt Day; 04-03-2023 at 10:45 PM.

My panel rack has several bays separated by 2x6 stile & rail frames, a p-lam floor to ease sliding out sheets and a couple of shelves for offcuts.
    DSC_1014.jpgDSC_1015.jpg
    Sorry, rotating photos defeats me once again.

As I tried to covey, storing them that orientation takes up too much floor space and I won’t be able to park my car in the garage.

Maybe you could post a sketch. If you are standing sheets upright they have to take up at least 4' in one direction plus another 4' to slide out of the rack in that direction. My rack's in a corner. Couldn't you make a narrow version of it with the sheets parallel to your car?

It sounds like you are thinking of leaning a few sheets against some vertical tapered strips fastened to the wall, plus a bay for smaller pieces with a shelf mid-height. Tapered strips will only take up floor space. You could use one vertical member with the shelf between it and the wall, and lean your full sheets against the upright. You will want a top shelf fastened to the wall to locate the upright partition with a cleat hanging down at the outside and one on the floor to keep the stack in place, or possibly an outside partition which would give you a place to hang stuff.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 04-04-2023 at 10:02 AM.

Like Kevin, my sheet good rack is a 2x4 frame in the corner with access at the edges of the sheets.

The rack has a base to keep sheets slightly above the concrete floor, and a roller (a loose PVC pipe over a 3/4-galvanized pipe) under and flush with the bottom edge of the panels to facilitate sheet removal.

I keep a length of 2x4 as a weight on the end of a bungee cord attached to the wall and draped over the top of the sheets to hold them vertical, yet make it easy to tilt them when necessary.

The dimensions of partial sheets are marked along the edge.

I need ideas for gripping the edge of sheets to slide them a few inches out of the middle of a stack to where I can grip them to finish sliding them out. My fingertips aren't strong enough to overcome the friction against the adjoining sheets.

Excuse the mess (which is why it needs reorganized!), but this is the area in question. My car pulls up to about 2’ from the wall, so they have to be flat (ish) against the wall. My current plan is to cut some leftover melamine pieces on a slight angle and attach them to the wall, so that when she kids are leaned against them, they have support and will not bow at all. I will likely make some sort of chain or strap at the bottom, just in case anything slides out. I think I have my plan.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post

I need ideas for gripping the edge of sheets to slide them a few inches out of the middle of a stack to where I can grip them to finish sliding them out. My fingertips aren't strong enough to overcome the friction against the adjoining sheets.
    I use a flat jaw visegrip clamp for that, visible above the wall phone in my first photo.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    How about something like this simple 2 x4 to wall and floor or wall and wall approx 5 foot tall. Use steel cables , screw eyes, latch hooks to retain sheet goods .
    To add or move out sheet goods simply unhook one or two cables on one end leaving remaining 2 or 3 cable lines to retain balance of your stock, slide sheet in / out.
    Takes up very little floor space , sheets stacked on edge allow for easy selection cost less than 35 bucks.
    calabrese55

SCREW EYE.jpegLATCH.jpg

Blog Entries
    One of the real winners in my new shop build was the swinging sheet goods rack. You don't need to keep an area open to allow sliding things in and out. You just pivot to an open area.

McLaren Plywood Rack (41).jpgMcLaren Plywood Rack (40).jpgMcLaren Plywood Rack (36).jpgMcLaren Plywood Rack (34).jpg

I used 4 steel fixed casters set at the radius angle of the swing. Even fully loaded it moves quite easily. It stores against one wall or the other as what I am doing dictates.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, that's a nice design for a moderate # of sheets. Getting that piece out of the back corner of the offcut stack looks like a challenge, though .

I don't have room along the wall for a swinging rack like that, and I seem to have more sheet stock and other gear like vacuum press parts than would roll easily. Maybe that's just a corollary to Parkinson's Law, stuff expands to fit space available. The shelves in my vertical rack do allow for easy access to the drops I can't bear to throw away.

When I do get a batch of material in for a job I have a heavy duty parts cart with stanchions that can hold over 20 sheets. https://shopcartsusa.com/Product-LateralPartsCart.php l can load and unload it from the end like your swinging bin. Whether I use that or the vertical rack, my Crazy Horse dolly makes getting panels onto the saw or router relatively easy. crazy horse .jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 04-04-2023 at 12:56 PM.

I think what I said to be misinterpreted, I need that she could stored vertically and oriented vertically, so 8 foot from floor to ceiling.

I would make an angled base, 90˚ to the tilt that the sheets will have, and a few few angled uprights to keep the sheets from bowing. A pivoting cleat above can keep things from tipping out. I have this for vertical lumber storage.

It's also possible to have a fixed cleat above. The top is put behind the cleat, and the sheet is lifted onto the base. I have this set up outside under eaves for cover sheets, etc.. the lifting motion is not great for the back, but it is simple.
    Last edited by Cameron Wood; 04-05-2023 at 12:15 PM.

Matt, I did vertical in the back corner of my new shop building next to the vertical lumber rack. It's about two feet wide and can hold a whole bunch of material. What I didn't do and would if I actually kept a lot of it, was have some vertical dividers to keep the number of sheets next to each other to a reasonable number so removing or storing a particular sheet isn't as onerous because of having to shift other material. There are a couple of photos in my shop build thread I believe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone