Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Shop Construction

Garage Door

Got the garage door finished up today.

20190331_145833-1008x567[3813].jpg20190331_163728-1008x567[3814].jpg

Now - back on completing the wooden doors for the smaller opening.
    Regards,

Kris

Kris, any progress? I heard from friends in Livingston it snowed there yesterday so maybe affecting you. We got it here this AM. Just after the flowering trees and tulips came out. Oh well.

Jon. Thanks for checking in. We got snow but it was gone by the end of the day.

Currently working down in Ennis, MT.

Shop progress will be slow to non-existent for a while as my work is seasonal, and I currently must be "making hay".

I did get my shop-made doors hung. Haven't figured out how to post photos from my phone but will post when I can.
    Regards,

Kris

Not a fishing guide are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    This is the view from inside the shop through the big window. My bench will be right inside the window.
    Attachment 405969
    Darn the bad luck. Maybe a good set of blackout curtains will allow you to work??

Malcolm. We are fortunate to have the view, and is one of the main reasons we moved to where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Not a fishing guide are you?
    Nope. Stream Restoration contractor. Helping to keep the guides in business. 😎

Great job. Love fishing that country, been pretty much all over since first trip to Madison and Firehole in 1974

Some Progress

Been home for a couple of weeks. Made some progress on siding. Decided to take on the learning curve with fiber cement siding on the most difficult and visible part of the building. Has been slow progress but am getting there.

20190615-small.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Shop Progress

Shop progress has been pretty slow this summer/fall.

Front of the building that faces the street is pretty much done, and has been for a while.
    20190722_091704small.jpg

Siding is about 2/3 done on either side. Haven't been home long enough at a stretch to justify getting a lift to finish the upper areas. I refuse to work from a ladder for this kind of work.

Fiber cement siding is durable and looks good but progress is slow. Every electrical box and penetration of any kind has a "block" that the siding is fit around and then is flashed. Every piece of fiber siding is pre-painted before installation. I underestimated the effort to work "at height" and I am sure the building would be done if it was a single story structure.
    20191008_191500small.jpg

Definitely a milestone today - parked the wife's car in the garage.
    20191027_194059small.jpg

Been focused on wiring, and have the upstairs and downstairs about 80% done. Heading to Idaho for a winter work project so the shop exterior will likely sit pretty much as is until late winter/spring. I am thankful it has a good roof on it and the weather should stay out. Will keep plodding away on the wiring as I get time and hopefully get rough-in inspection before spring which would allow me to get started on insulation...
    Regards,

Kris

Paint by Numbers

Used some rock I pulled up from a walkway to build a hearth/base for the wood stove. I used painter's tape to number the stones and then took pictures of the layout..
    20191031_110822small.jpg

I used the pictures to help me recreate the layout when I set the stones in mortar.
    20191101_142258small.jpg

Here is the finished product.
    20191101_175141small.jpg

Built a tent of sorts to keep the work above freezing until the mortar cures.
    20191101_183050small.jpg

Now I will be ready to get the wood stove installed when I have some time. With the wood stove I will be able to work in there even without insulation. Much less painful to go through the wood than burning propane or electricity.
    Regards,

Kris

Glad to see it's coming along Kris. Enjoy!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Now I will be ready to get the wood stove installed when I have some time. With the wood stove I will be able to work in there even without insulation. Much less painful to go through the wood than burning propane or electricity.
    Make sure you put appropriate fire-resistant material behind the stove, even if it's temporary, if you are going to use it during your build out. You need to keep that heat away from the wall structure shown in your photos.

The stone work looks great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. Absolutely will put fire-resistant material behind and adjacent to the the stove.
    Regards,

Kris

Yea, even if you end up destroying some fire resistant cement board for the temporary need, it's far better than, um...rebuilding after a fire.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...