Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Shop Construction

Harbor Freight has a red platform type lift, you can roll your motorcycle on to, and it will raise your motorcycle up to a level handy to work on. I used one of those lifts for a variable height workbench. Not the small jack you put under the motorcycle, but a whole platform you roll your bike onto. It is something like 2' wide x 6 or 7' long.
    Was 289 on the recent tent sale.

Thanks Jim. I will take a look at that.
    Regards,

Kris

Mud and Progress

When the building construction started we weren't able to get all the drainage, and gravel in place before the ground froze. Now that things are thawing out we will have mud. We did get the gable end sheathing buttoned up.
    20190316_181328.jpg

Was able to use a submersible to pump most of the snow-melt around to the other side of the building where it can drain away. Obviously an on-going chore.
    20190318_112451.jpg

Got some more windows installed today. This one is 8 wide by 4 high. By far the biggest window in the building.
    20190318_174705.jpg

This is the view from inside the shop through the big window. My bench will be right inside the window.
    20190318_161526.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Dang...the view out that window is going to be mesmerizing for all four (or 18, as the case may be these days ) seasons. Heh...heh...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Keeping my fingers crossed hoping we are done with snow.

50's this week, and lots of sunshine.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dang...the view out that window is going to be mesmerizing for all four (or 18, as the case may be these days ) seasons. Heh...heh...
    What he said. That's going to be a great space to work in. I am so anxious to get a "real" shop like this. Still trying to get the place next door to us to convert to my dream shop. Until then, please let me live vicariously through you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    I put together this spreadsheet to evaluate my electrical.

Does this seem extreme?
    Can your welder be wired 220?

Malcolm - you are certainly welcome to do so. I hope you are patient, as this will likely take a while to get to completion.

I have been gone for the last 10 days dealing with a family issue.

Snow is melting fast here, and we have gone from 1.5' of snow to visible grass in about a week.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Can your welder be wired 220?
    My welder is a little Lincoln wire-feed that doesn't pull a lot of current. I don't think it can be wired for 220 but am not sure. It is in storage. It will be nice to have the welder set up and ready to go all the time which I didn't really have before.
    Regards,

Kris

Good choice on the wide window; that is one heck of a view.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    My welder is a little Lincoln wire-feed that doesn't pull a lot of current. I don't think it can be wired for 220 but am not sure. It is in storage. It will be nice to have the welder set up and ready to go all the time which I didn't really have before.
    If it's the Weld Pak 100 it will run on a 15 or 20 amp circuit. I used one for years before I got other welding machines and often used it on an extension cord. I keep it around because of it's portability and to weld things where there is no 220 power.

Getting warmer here Kris. Hopefully up there too.

Jon - yes warmer for sure. I see you are making some good progress on your framing.
    Regards,

Kris

Garage Door

Installing the OH door today by myself.

I installed all but one of the sections with 16 penny nails driven into the jamb at an angle to hold them temporarily.

I put the last section up without anything holding it as I had gotten away with this on the previous sections until I put the nails in - I went to move my ladder, and was literally saying out loud "that would be bad" in response to the thought of the section falling down.

Well, the section fell down when I turned my back. To make matters worse, I reached up behind myself to try and slow or stop it.

Of course I had to get the high density, insulated, steel on both sides doors, and the section fell on my hand and smashed it into the rest of the door.

I think I am lucky and the dings on the doors will not be seen.

Tomorrow will tell as far as the dings on my hand.

Managed to continue the day and get the door mostly installed.

Decided to call it a day at spring winding time, want to make sure I have a fresh start before tackling that tomorrow.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If it's the Weld Pak 100 it will run on a 15 or 20 amp circuit. I used one for years before I got other welding machines and often used it on an extension cord. I keep it around because of it's portability and to weld things where there is no 220 power.
    John - yes - that is the welder I have. Works fine for my needs. Anything heavier needed, and my neighbor went to school for welding...
    Regards,

Kris