Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: New Shop Construction

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    What gizmo?
    Frank - my pictures disappeared. Hopefully they will stay put this time. Last pic is a "banjo" that is the gizmo.
    Regards,

Kris

Blast Gate

Alternative use for a blast gate.

Combustion air vent for wood stove.

20201231_141948.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    Alternative use for a blast gate.

Combustion air vent for wood stove.

20201231_141948.jpg
    That works as long as the area when open is sufficient for the required make-up air!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Building a work station in the new shop. The station will have a shop vacuum underneath plumbed permanently to a Dust Deputy. I am sure this has been discussed more than once but I wasn't finding much with a search. I am sure there is a trade-off between noise reduction and potentially damaging heat. I am thinking of putting some rigid insulation around the inside of the cabinet and venting the enclosure.

I am wondering what experience others have had with enclosing a vacuum in a cabinet to reduce noise. Would like to hear from those that have actually done this, if possible.
    Regards,

Kris

Kris, what you need to do is to be sure you use a vacuum that has enough native cooling to remain reliable in an enclosure. You can also consider a baffled air intake and return with small pancake fan to remove warm/hot air from the cabinet. Winston Moy on the 'Tube has put shop vacs in enclosures for use with small CNC machines to reduce noise from a screaming vac.

Your benefit will be increased if you can also use an extractor that is inherently lower in noise level by design. Of course, that's also a bigger financial investment.
    --

I should have been more clear in my post. I don't intend to spend a lot of money on this setup. I am using a standard shop vacuum in an enclosure, and if I can get get some noise reduction using a passive solution, without causing overheating issues I would consider it a success.

I don't know how to go about ensuring the vacuum has adequate cooling to remain reliable in an enclosure other than trial and error or asking input from someone that has done it.

I will check out the video. Thank you Jim.

If anyone has experience to share on enclosing a shop vacuum I would appreciate it.
    Regards,

Kris

Cool A little progress and a new addition

I ended up going with a mini Dust Deputy after trying a plastic tote and watching the sides suck in.

Haven't had much time to work on the shop but did start installing the DC ducting.

DC 1.jpg

DC 2.jpg

DC 3.jpg

Didn't want to guess as to where I was going to terminate the drop for my TS so I added this to my collection. Received today.

Saw Stop.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Last Machine?

Received this yesterday. This rounds out my large equipment for the new shop. Now just need to finish the garage drywall so I can hook up the DC, and get some stuff out of the shop part and get things organized.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Kris

Finally Some Progress to Show

Well, I got the garage taped and mudded and moved everything out of the shop into the garage.

My oldest son came up and helped with sleepers and foam.
    20211113_153324small.jpg 20211113_135518small.jpg

Bandsaw came in handy for ripping foam
    20211113_155554small.jpg 20211114_131835small.jpg

I used 3/4" T&G underlayment
    20211114_211842small.jpg

Almost done - youngest son came up yesterday and helped me finish up the flooring, patching, and sanding
    20211115_162523small.jpg
    Regards,

Kris

Plywood all done and ready for paint
    20211116_180108small.jpg 20211116_180150small.jpg

Primer Down
    20211116_195707small.jpg

Didn't get a photo of the other side or the finished paint but did get the paint on late last night. Will post some more pics when I get back home. Hopefully, I will be moving equipment back in early next week and then my wife will have the garage for her car.
    Regards,

Kris

Dang...that looks really good!!!!
    --

Blog Entries
    That will be a very nice floor. I question the need for sleepers if you're using XPS foam, except for the under the joints between the sheets of plywood. I doubt there's a machine heavy enough to compress it through a sheet of plywood.

Thanks Jim. Looking forward to finishing up this project, finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    That will be a very nice floor. I question the need for sleepers if you're using XPS foam, except for the under the joints between the sheets of plywood. I doubt there's a machine heavy enough to compress it through a sheet of plywood.
    Frank - you could be right. Probably "belt and suspenders". My knees and back are just glad it is done.
    Regards,

Kris

Well - nothing too exciting to report but with the weather warming up was able to get upstairs and work on some mods to the office/guest room area. I was able to spend the day with my oldest son who helped me build the shop and is now a full-time carpenter. Kind of cool to see the role reversal starting to take place with him taking on the layout and making decisions and me playing more of the support role.

The upstairs isn't really shop space but is part of the building, so I will post progress. Its only been like 4 years since we dried in the building. Took out a window on the gable end and replacing with a door with half-glass and sidelight to take advantage of our awesome view. The door will open up to a small balcony.
    Regards,

Kris