I currently have my shop in a two-car garage. While I don't necessarily use both bays of the garage solely for wood working; for me the footprint of one bay is not adequate space to efficiently work.

We are down-sizing and have just purchased a 100-year old house north of where we live now. The home does not have a garage but has a 12'X19' add-on room that is insulated, and has 220V power as well as an overhead gas heater.

We wont be moving until Spring and I am in the planning stages now regarding: shop space, garage/carport etc.

I am thinking the add-on room would be perfect for hand tools, workbench, mortising machine, grinders, drill press.

Power machines: TS, BS, planer, and jointer would have to go somewhere else (both from a noise and space standpoint).

Looking at the way the yard is laid out it will be difficult or impossible to put another building very close to the house. I would like to build a shop but due to space and cost considerations I am hoping I can split the functions as outlined above, and maybe build a garage/power machine space and have the hand tool space by the house.

We get a lot of snow and winter is when I have time for projects. I am wondering if having these different operations in separate buildings is going to be too troublesome.

Thanks
Kris