Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide Belt Sanders

Some interesting thoughts and opinions. I don't have the space for a big true wide belt sander as someone mentioned which is why I am looking at what I am. I did plan for a unit like the ones I mentioned and have a 50 Amp Outlet, Dust Collector Drop and Air Line Drop in the space in the shop I had planned for the sander. I was going to buy a drum sander but I just can't convince myself I would be happy with it. I think one of the sanders like I have in mind would be a much better option although I agree that it would not be as good as a 37" wide belt. I have to buy what fits in and is the best compromise.

Jim- I agree, might not be as perfect as a big boy, but should do what I need

Mike - I looked at the Shopfox again after reading your post. The W1709 does have a lot of nice features. I could probably live with the 20" width for my needs. I had ruled it out because of not having a platen and that is a must have in my opinion. I found your comment that you haven't missed it after having a machine with it first interesting. Do you use you sander for finish sanding before finishing with a ROS? Maybe I am putting to much emphasis on the machine having a platen.

Any chance you are willing to buy used and spend the difference on an RPC? Pretty nice 24" sanders come up for <4K and an rpc would be 1000-2000. Opens up a whole new world of choices. Keep in mind none of these sanders will handle plywood unless you put shop made veneer on it. These are hardwood only machines from a practical standpoint. Dave

I bought a used G9983 sander a couple years ago. The price was excellent and I do not have the space for 37" or larger or 3 phase. If I had to do it over again I would go with a 24" belt sander for the ease of sanding raised panel doors. That being said for what I paid and what I got I love it. I have sanded some 26" panels and it handled them well. The machine itself is simple without a lot of electronics. I do like the couple of changes on the new model Grizzly is carrying now. The conveyor bed will be more stable with the 4 post design. I wish the would have put variable speed control on it though. All in all I am glad I bought it.

I agree with David Kumm.. In 2009 I bought a 2001 model 25" SCM Sandya Win for $4500 I sold it last month for $4000 .. It was hobby used for the last 7 years and really wasn't any more "used" than it was in 2009.

I found that wide belt to be easy starting for the phase converter.

Problem is, unless you are building the same item over and over again, you run into things that will not fit through your sander if you get a 24", without the open end or the large widebelt. For a small one man shop, I find the open end sander a huge improvement over a drum sander. Was familiar with the speedsander, but do not have enough power or room for such a beast. Does take twice as long to sand a wide piece in a small open end, because you have to reverse the board and run it through the second time to get it sanded. Using a widebelt sander is not a quick process anyway, but compared to sanding it down by hand, is like light speed.

Check out Safety Speed Cut. They make a good 36 x 60" widebelt with a 10 HP single phase motor. I have had one for four years and I am completely satisfied with it.

a couple of years ago, I went to the timesavers factory and got a tour. We were trying to set up something a lot more precise than most woodworking, but I was really impressed. I know they are a lot of money though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    Do you use you sander for finish sanding before finishing with a ROS?
    After finishing with 150 belt, a quick application of the ROS is necessary for a really fine finish.

I get the theory of a Platen, but just couldn't see much difference. I never used it on my Powermatic Open End machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    After finishing with 150 belt, a quick application of the ROS is necessary for a really fine finish.

I get the theory of a Platen, but just couldn't see much difference. I never used it on my Powermatic Open End machine.
    Having used a 37"x60 dual head machine with no platen between the large rubber coated rollers (Sicar) for about 20 years, and recently (the past nearly 7) a dual drum/platen in between (Cantek) I see a huge difference.

I normally run 120 to 150 on the machine, with a 60 or 80 if I need to level some large table top etc. Mainly 120 and then on to hand sanding with ROS.

With the platen, set just about level with the rollers (maybe a few thou down) there is no noticable ripple. With just the drums, there was always a bit of ripple. Im sold on the platen. It was an option on the Sicar but my father needed the machine ASAP a the time and took it off the showroom floor without.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    Having used a 37"x60 dual head machine with no platen between the large rubber coated rollers (Sicar) for about 20 years, and recently (the past nearly 7) a dual drum/platen in between (Cantek) I see a huge difference.

I normally run 120 to 150 on the machine, with a 60 or 80 if I need to level some large table top etc. Mainly 120 and then on to hand sanding with ROS.

With the platen, set just about level with the rollers (maybe a few thou down) there is no noticable ripple. With just the drums, there was always a bit of ripple. Im sold on the platen. It was an option on the Sicar but my father needed the machine ASAP a the time and took it off the showroom floor without.
    I would not purchase a widebelt without a platen. We do 120 on the first drum, and 180 in the combo head, the scratch just melts under an orbital. We murder the belts running it the way we do now though.

Knowing what I know now, I'm not sure I'd buy less than three heads again. Space, power, dust collection and capital didn't allow it so I got my current machine. BUT, my needs are way outside of those not doing it commercially and abusing abrasives to get things doing l done.

Head speed is critical to getting a quality scratch too. I think on the combo head it's 4800 fpm. I'm fuzzy on the numbers, but I want to say my speedsander was a bit more than half that speed.

I also agree that a platen is a must on a wide belt sander. I had a General as my first wide belt that had no platen, the SCM with a platen was night and day.

I would agree with Jim that with a 25" wide sander I came across things I couldn't sand, and did upgrade to a 37" this year. The reality however is that 98% of the time I could use it and it was a huge asset. The new machine has a pneumatic platen with an anti dubbing sensor. It lifts the plate as the board comes in and lowers it ( ideally ) right on the edge. The idea is it doesn't round the corner on the way in or the way out.. So far I haven't sanded any veneer, but I've played with it a bit, and its a neat option..