Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wide Belt Sanders

Wide Belt Sanders

Did a search but came up empty.

After a few setbacks I finally have the $ for a wide belt sander. Was going to buy the 16" that Grizzly used to sell but it was discontinued before I got the $ together. That leaves me with the following choices.

The recently introduced Grizzly G0819 15". Looks like a good machine but can't really find any reviews of it.
    The North State DW-16P 16"
    The Powermatic 1632

The North State and Powermatic look like the same machine which also look like the discontinued Grizzly. The new Grizzly is made differently with 4 posts in the base. All are 3 roller machines with a platen.

I also priced a Time Saver but it is just too expensive for my home shop.

So does anyone have any of these machines? Would really like to hear from someone with the Grizzly G0819.

In a perfect world you would want a combination head, 4" roller, steel or hard rubber, and a padded platen that can be removed or lifted out of the way. A head with two smaller diamater rollers that are not designed to flatten ( calibration sand ) are really platen only heads and designed to finish sand only and generally will not flat sand. Electric eye tracking is also better than pneumatic if you can get that at your price point. Keep your eyes open for a 24" SCMI or Minimax in good used condition. You need to handle at least ten hp three phase if you go that route. Dave

What's your budget?
    What do you have available for power?
    How much space do you have?

I ask, because 37" is a pretty common size and can be found pretty reasonably used.

Have you looked at Apex sanders? Timesavers wanted another $10k for literally the same machine I got from Apex.

Blog Entries
    You might visit a cabinet shop and find out what they use.

Make sure you look at the ShopFox line. Essentially Grizzly, but they have a few unique Wide Belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    Did a search but came up empty.

After a few setbacks I finally have the $ for a wide belt sander. Was going to buy the 16" that Grizzly used to sell but it was discontinued before I got the $ together. That leaves me with the following choices.

The recently introduced Grizzly G0819 15". Looks like a good machine but can't really find any reviews of it.
    The North State DW-16P 16"
    The Powermatic 1632

The North State and Powermatic look like the same machine which also look like the discontinued Grizzly. The new Grizzly is made differently with 4 posts in the base. All are 3 roller machines with a platen.

I also priced a Time Saver but it is just too expensive for my home shop.

So does anyone have any of these machines? Would really like to hear from someone with the Grizzly G0819.
    I cosindered Powermatic once, but it was too costly for what it is, and I dont need new, for the price of the powermatic, there are plenty second hand machine available on the market.

Do you have space for a true wide belt sander? say 37"+ ? I used to have an Italian 12" sander (cant remember the name but pretty old) but I find it too limiting. I moved to a 37" SCM then my current SCM 43".

As David pointed out, you would want a dual head machine with platten.. etc. minimum is 15hp/3 phase if you go this route. the 43" I have in my workshop is a 25hp.

Things to watchout for with the widebelt sander is that it often means you are not only buying the sander, unless for some reason you have
    1. a huge extractor installed already with proper ducting.
    2. sufficient compressed air and compressed air line installed.
    3. and plenty of power available, 3 phase that is, at least 63 amp+, you may also want to consider the inrush current, typically 6-7 times the full load current.

otherwise you need to invest in all 3 aspect as I found out when I purchased my wide belt sander.
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 08-02-2017 at 7:46 PM.

All the machines you mention are cantilever designs which means they are inherently inaccurate. If you want to sand wider panels one side at a time I suspect you will be disappointed. Accuracy in a wide belt requires a rigid frame.

I am a hobbyist and have a timesaver speedsander 37".

it is not a high end unit, but for what I do and have used it for, it does a great job and has been a gigantic upgrade from a performax 16/32 for me. It is 3 phase, but I think they offer it in single phase as well. I would recommend 3 phase if you have the resources.

i got it used and for probably what it would cost for a new 15" unit.

good luck.

I have the old G9983 Grizzly 15", and while it is no 37" sander, it is a HUGE improvement over a hand held belt sander. I find it even flattens panels as I sand. That said, while it does not sand perfectly, it does pretty well. I figured the new model has worked out a few bugs of the old model.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    I am a hobbyist and have a timesaver speedsander 37".

it is not a high end unit, but for what I do and have used it for, it does a great job and has been a gigantic upgrade from a performax 16/32 for me. It is 3 phase, but I think they offer it in single phase as well. I would recommend 3 phase if you have the resources.

i got it used and for probably what it would cost for a new 15" unit.

good luck.

I had one of these sanders. They're a good value. Not an awesome sander, but you get a lot for your money. I'd recommend it no problem, even for a small shop starting out. I sold mine for about what I paid for it, and I ran it pretty hard. Mine was 7-1/2hp 1ph

Another local shop just bought one of these and it seems to be a pretty good unit as well.

Albert, wanted to thank you for outlining the infrastructure needed to really support a widebelt. I have much of it in place. What size run duct wise do you have to your widebelt? Ill have an 8" drop to that area connected to my 10" main trunk - nordfab Cyclone is 12" inlet. No widebelt yet but its on.my list!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Albert, wanted to thank you for outlining the infrastructure needed to really support a widebelt. I have much of it in place. What size run duct wise do you have to your widebelt? Ill have an 8" drop to that area connected to my 10" main trunk - nordfab Cyclone is 12" inlet. No widebelt yet but its on.my list!!
    My pleasure Mike, my mains is 10", but given the low ceiling I have(2700mm or 106 inch) it was a mission itself to connect to the mains. see pics below.

you'll be fine with your Nordfab cyclone! I am still clinging onto the baghouse which I paid $600 for. its matter of time before I invest into something larger/better.

1936153_10153776263493813_5422189849406990148_n.jpg

12472655_10153776263563813_5755736939992493473_n.jpg

12524381_10153776263518813_5258674866088024889_n.jpg

My cyclone is grizzly 10hp at $1400 used plus freight and some missing parts and a lot of elbow grease. I just got lucky on a pro shop closing in town and got his nordfab lot before anyone else. Not many folks here recognize it.

Wow you did luck out height wise. Whew. Geeat idea on the stacked wyes. I am hoping my 8" drop will convert to whatever number of ports i will need.

A SCM would be a dream for me. They are so nice. I will most likely end up with a Speedsaver or Grizzl or Shopfox. Under 10 grand definitely. I do think i am not going less than 37" if i can help it. I have a dual 26" double drum now grizzly that will help me be patient and not sacrifice. We will see. Whole lot of want for now. Lots more work to do.

Thank yoy again for the pictures. Your shop is so awesome.

All you guys have amazing setups. Thank you for sharing them here and all over the forums. REALLY helps me as a non pro learn whats good and important. I am on shoulders of giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    All the machines you mention are cantilever designs which means they are inherently inaccurate. If you want to sand wider panels one side at a time I suspect you will be disappointed. Accuracy in a wide belt requires a rigid frame.
    I was pleasantly surprised with my Powermatic 16/32. I found the flex to be minimum.
    I upgraded to a 20" ShopFox only for the motorized lift. The position of the lift on the PM was too just low for my back.

I've never missed the platen.
    Last edited by Mike Hollingsworth; 08-03-2017 at 12:51 PM.

wow that is a steal for a 10hp cyclone! Nordfab makes very good extractor. amazing deals to be had with these industrial premises closing down...

It took me a while and some experiment to sort out the extraction layout from the sander to the mains. yes its not ideal in terms of extraction due to the number of wyes and all but I cant get it done otherwise.

I bought my 35+ year old 37" SCM for $1000 from a boat builder and when I upgraded to a 43" I sold it for $2000 to a joiner shop.

SCM sander are solid as rock, and they carry parts as well (I needed a plastic part for the 35+ old sander and SCM still has it!). I am so happy with my SCM sander I dont think I will ever switch to another brand.

Remember to post your photos oneday! my shop normally dont look this clean....