Thread: My Adjustable Mouth Jack Plane

My Adjustable Mouth Jack Plane

Finally finished my adjustable-mouth wood bodied jack plane after about 2 years off and on messing with it. Maple body, jatoba sides/sole, moradillo (pau ferro) tote, purpleheart and mahogany knob. I made the blade from A2 steel flat stock and did the heat treatment in a digital kiln. Finished with Tried & True Varnish Oil.

I don’t really like the color of the knob, I might have to remake it in moradillo.

So far it seems to work great. The wood crosspin has much more friction than the brass rods I tried previously, so it doesn’t take much force to keep the wedge in.

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good. I agree with you on the purpleheart knob - to my eye it doesn't quite work. But I really like the tote - the wood is gorgeous and it looks like it would suit my hand well.

I'm curious. The blade says 2015 Lumberjocks Handplane Swap. Did you build it for them and just not get it done?

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Looks good. I agree with you on the purpleheart knob - to my eye it doesn't quite work. But I really like the tote - the wood is gorgeous and it looks like it would suit my hand well.

I'm curious. The blade says 2015 Lumberjocks Handplane Swap. Did you build it for them and just not get it done?

Fred
    Thanks. I started two planes during the Lumberjocks handplane swap. I finished one and sent it to a friend, then got lazy about the one for myself. Finally completed it, and it seems like a good user so far. I kind of messed up the etched logo on this iron, it's fuzzy and pockmarked but still legible at least.
    Last edited by Allen Jordan; 08-01-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Did you have plans to work from or is it your design? Inquiring minds need to know.

Can you please post a photo from the front, so that the mouth adjustment mechanism is more visible?

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Did you have plans to work from or is it your design? Inquiring minds need to know.
    It's kind of a mix of random jointer planes I've seen online and a veritas-like toe adjustment mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Can you please post a photo from the front, so that the mouth adjustment mechanism is more visible?
    Here is a pic from a similar plane I made

ijgexUX.jpg

Very nicely done! Nice to see this design detail also. I started a Krenov style plane a while back. Now that I see yours I better get back to it and finish it!

That is a beautiful plane and beautiful work.

Beautiful piece of functional art. And I agree that a matching knob and tote would look much classier. Well done!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Very nicely done! Nice to see this design detail also. I started a Krenov style plane a while back. Now that I see yours I better get back to it and finish it!
    Yep, I think this is an example demonstrating that a well-made laminated plane is nothing to sneeze at.