Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spartan CBN wheels

Spartan CBN wheels

I have been putting off the purchase of CBN wheels primarily because of the cost. (I'm a cheapskate). Woodturnerswonders and other sites now list a Spartan CBN wheel that has a center portion made of nylon rather than aluminum or steel. They carry a lifetime warranty, but are too new to have any reviews yet. They are priced at $100.00 for one or $180.00 for a pair - significantly cheaper than conventional wheels. I don't want to spend more than I have to, but do not want to be penny wise and pound foolish either. Anyone have any thoughts on whether this is a good idea or not?

Roger, at that price, why don't you buy a set and give us your opinion of them? Yeah I read the part about you being cheap, but there's none cheaper out there then these ones.
    Len

You could also send Robohippy an IM or just wait for him to respond to this post. He seems to know a great deal about cbn wheels.
    Fred

At that price with life time warranty what do you have to loose. IMO.

I just talked to one of the reps for Woodturners Wonders and he stated that the wheel is a entry level wheel, but for the cost it will perform very well. He did suggest either the precession or spherical washers ($5) to insure minimal vibration. They do sell them at their vendor booths for $85 each plus tax. My D-Ways required a percesion insert that that was $20. For the price it will be a great choice for many turners.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I did see them, but didn't talk to Ken about them. I don't see why they wouldn't work though. I probably have at least 4 sets of wheels and won't get another for a few years.

robo hippy

Thanks for the comments. You pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. I have ordered a set and will let you know how they work out.

What do you choose to get the $180.00 price?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    What do you choose to get the $180.00 price?
    I didn't see it at first glance but if you call, Ken Rizza will be very helpful.

JKJ

My curiosity would be how they handle or disperse heat or how it affects the nylon. Would overheating deform the wheel? I'm sure they have tested it thoroughly though and doubt that it'd be an issue, but that's the first thing that popped in my head.
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    My curiosity would be how they handle or disperse heat or how it affects the nylon. Would overheating deform the wheel? I'm sure they have tested it thoroughly though and doubt that it'd be an issue, but that's the first thing that popped in my head.
    I don't think heat is a proble. Most of the heat in sharpening is transferred to the tool. The wheel is spinning in the air. I have never felt heat on my CBN wheels. They usually are no hotter than room temperature. When I talked to the rep he saiid it was a tight pressure fit and won't separate. I guess if you threw it in a fire it might melt?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Although nylon can be molded to fairly high precision, it can't match the machining precision of aluminum or steel. My biggest concern would be creep. Nylon and many other plastics slowly deform over time when subjected to stresses. I would want a CBN wheel that runs perfectly true and I would be concerned that over time these wheels might develop some wobble or eccentric motion.
    Bill

I am with Bill on this one. Along with the better edge achieved, two of the main draws of the CBN are longevity and a never changing radius so that one never has to adjust the setup to maintain a consistent grind. One would hope to get 10 years or more out of the wheel. My personal thought is why try to save a little money when that savings amortized over 10 years or more is minuscule. If the expected life of the wheel was a couple years, obviously saving $30-40 might make sense.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I am with Bill on this one. Along with the better edge achieved, two of the main draws of the CBN are longevity and a never changing radius so that one never has to adjust the setup to maintain a consistent grind. One would hope to get 10 years or more out of the wheel. My personal thought is why try to save a little money when that savings amortized over 10 years or more is minuscule. If the expected life of the wheel was a couple years, obviously saving $30-40 might make sense.
    I agree. $100 for the probably injection molded plastic, $150 for the machined aluminum? No contest in my thinking. But to each his own - I have a friend who buys tools at Harbor Freight! [gasp!] Now if the plastic wheel was $20...

For those who don't know, even if it's not advertised Ken can order CBN wheels and hones in any configuration, size, and in any grit you want. For example, I order wheels with corners instead of the radius (flat all the way across the face) and with 1" of grit down the sides. (The radius-edged wheels have limited usefulness at the expense of severely narrowing the useful part of the wheel. Both the 90-deg corner and grit down the sides give more options on grinding things such as custom scrapers.) The special order may take a few weeks longer to get but my mother told me the delayed gratification builds patience and character.

JKJ

https://woodturnerswonders.com/produ...heel-5-8-arbor here is a link for a pair, I am retired and on a fixed in come and I am cheap and 78, hope these out last me. Will write a review when they come.