Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Bench Build. Roubo or Nicholson?

"Have you read "The Workbench Book"?"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    I haven't but I have read a lot of folks thoughts/opinions - many of which reference this book.
    That simply does not count, like staying at Motel 6. If you read the book you might find inspiration.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Square again, and single row again...all hard maple. Every hole filled with a dog. There are very few times a double row of dogs (implying something like a Veritas tail vise) or round dogs would have been of benefit to me, but your mileage might vary.

I have zero experience, as I am still building my very first proper bench.
    What I'm building is a big, flat, heavy bench. Just a heavy laminated top, and large, heavy base.
    I have a face vise I found at a local flea market that will go on it, and I am constructing it so that I have plenty of room to be able to clamp things down to the top pretty much anywhere I want, and that is all I'm doing to it, although I'm toying with the idea of a very simple planing stop on one end.
    I have no clue what style would serve me best, so I just went as basic as I could. As I work on the bench, I will learn over time what is missing, or what features I wish it had that would make my work easier/better. Once I truly understand what I need, then I'll build it, but it probably won't follow any standard style/template.
    So, I really do agree with those who say to just build a bench; any bench, and get to work.

That's what I wanted to hear Todd
    I get the feeling square holes as being more functional...
    One could probably make a rising round dog in a square dog if the need arose, not so easy the other way round though.
    Thanks for reply

Tomas

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trees View Post
    That's what I wanted to hear Todd
    I get the feeling square holes as being more functional...
    One could probably make a rising round dog in a square dog if the need arose, not so easy the other way round though.
    Thanks for reply

Tomas
    Not to be too contrarian but a potential wrench in the plans: I was debating this same thing earlier this month and settled on round dog holes. The reason? Holdfasts. There are also a lot of nice-looking accessories made by Veritas that fit into round dogholes but those cost $$$ that I don't have right now. The ability to orient a bench dog in any direction might also be nice at some point but I don't have enough experience to say yet. Things to think about, though.

I don't see an issue with drilling holdfast holes where you need them...for me, that is seldom where the dog strip sits. Holdfasts have a 'swing' associated with them...they can reach across 5-6 inches of bench, so a few that can swing the edge of the bench can handle holding duties near the edge of the bench and a few further in are pretty helpful. I've had steel dogs and round ones - but what works best for me are wood dogs with wood springs and angled towards the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    ...what works best for me are wood dogs with wood springs and angled towards the work.
    This. Hard to beat, inexpensive and self aligning.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. I wonder if another version of the question basically reads - do you prefer vises or holdfasts for holding work? Thats whats hard for someone in my shoes - not having enough experience or a way to put hands on the various options to get a feel for what "feels best"
    Build a really basic bench with a front vise out of southern yellow pine and fir and play around with it. Once you have built one bench, you will know all of the things you want to do with your final bench.

That being said, reading a few different books on workbenches will give excellent perspective.

I would also add that it does not need to be beautiful, just sturdy, heavy and flat. Also FWIW, no wider than 24 inches or shorter than 5 foot. We build a lot of guitars in my work shop and even for luthiary work 5 foot is a little tight.