Thread: Hanging Door Help Needed

Hanging Door Help Needed

4FEA8FDE-A802-498A-BB17-B5B380158D28.jpeg

I will be using nonmortise hinges. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Those should be pretty easy since the bottom overhangs the case. Test fit both doors in the case with spacers the same thickness as the non mortise hinge on all sides. Get the hinge side and center reveal equal first, dealing with any taper first and then adjusting all the stiles to have the same width. When that's done trim the tops of the doors to fit parallel with the drawer stretcher, as needed. Screw on the hinges and all should be good. If not, paper shims under a hinge and/or additional trimming will get you the rest of the way.

There are several ways to trim doors. For large adjustments I like to use my tablesaw sled. If I need to cut a 1/16" taper in a door stile I put the door on the sled with the rail against a backer board the same length as the stile to be cut. The backer board is against the sled fence; the door rail against the backer board. Now I put a 1/16" shim between the backer board and fence at whichever end is needed to give me the correct taper. For minor adjustments, a hand plane is best.

John

Thanks John. I’ll keep you posted.

Ed