Thread: Maggi Junior 640 RAS

Maggi Junior 640 RAS

Anyone here have experience with Maggi Junior 640 radial arm saw? If so your opinion of the machine would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Dan

I am looking to replace my grandfathers 1940's DeWalt RAS that I have had the pleasure to use for the last ten years. Although it is a bit under powered and can climb cut occasionally even with a negative hook blade I love using it crosscutting face frame, door parts and less than 15" plywood rips to length. I am moving to a much larger space and my siblings will not allow the saw to come with me. Going back to using a chop saw for this purpose is a grim thought. I have had enough chop sawing for a lifetime or two. The thought of squeezing the switch and lowering the blade for every cut is unacceptable.
    Could anyone please endorse or discourage the purchase of a used Maggi.
    Thank you,
    Dan

If you’re looking at the Junior 640 for sale by 360 Machinery I’d confirm if it’s a single or three phase machine if that matters. Probably a mid-90’s era saw.

Thanks Peter. We do have 3 phase in new shop.

They are excellent saws. What exactly do you want to know? I have used one several years ago. If it were me I would hold out for and be on the lookout for a 16” Dewalt GE or a used Original Saw Company RAS.

Thank you Bobby. Having never seen or even heard of one I was just looking for opinions of saw quality and suitability for intended usage.

Bobby has prompted me to look into the Original Saw Company RAS. It appears to be an excellent machine made in the good old USA. Although a new one would be more than i want to spend on a RAS,
    the versatility has me considering one with 24" cross cut capacity. I dont mind ripping a sheet of ply with my festool track saw but accurate repeatable crosscuts are not very efficient in this manner.
    I have often thought a sliding table saw would be the solution for crosscutting 24" ply rips. I do not own nor have I ever used one. It actually looks to be a somewhat cumbersome process to load and crosscut ply on a slider. I can however easily see myself tossing a half sheet of ply on a RAS cut station. It is a very appealing image.
    The expense of a new machine for me would be offset by supporting an American made product.
    Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Dan

Why are they against the DeWalt but fine with a Maggi?

Thank you Ben for the question. I dont recall indicating opposition to DeWalt. I love using my Grandfathers and would be happy to replace it with another DeWalt. What I am opposed to is going back to using a chop saw. Having more time to think this thru, my current thought is buying two RAS. A smaller one similar to the one I am currently using but with more than 3/4 horsepower for face frame and door parts. A larger second RAS with 24" capacity and used primarily for crosscutting plywood. Perhaps the two could reside on the same bench. As stated earlier, my hunch is that crosscutting 2'x8' plywood rips on a slider would be rather cumbersome. Your thoughts as always would be greatly appreciated.
    Ok, time to go make some saw dust.

Nothing cumbersome about cutting sheet materials on a slider. It’s what they’re made for.

I’d be more concerned about veneer chipping on a radial arm saw when cross cutting.

I don’t use chop saws either. I have an old Craftsman RAS that I only 90 deg crosscut on. I also have a DeWalt GE that I had to do some work on and just got a GP that needs work. It was a lot of work to get the GE going. If you found a later model saw for a good price it might be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Murray Ohio View Post
    Sorry Charles but we bought a Martin Slider. good luck with your sale

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Thank you Ben for the question. I dont recall indicating opposition to DeWalt. I love using my Grandfathers and would be happy to replace it with another DeWalt. What I am opposed to is going back to using a chop saw. Having more time to think this thru, my current thought is buying two RAS. A smaller one similar to the one I am currently using but with more than 3/4 horsepower for face frame and door parts. A larger second RAS with 24" capacity and used primarily for crosscutting plywood. Perhaps the two could reside on the same bench. As stated earlier, my hunch is that crosscutting 2'x8' plywood rips on a slider would be rather cumbersome. Your thoughts as always would be greatly appreciated.
    Ok, time to go make some saw dust.

You keep saying you want to crosscut plywood take a look at https://safetyspeed.com/product-cate...al-panel-saws/ American made
    I have a H4 at work, bought used for $450, a Milwaukee 6480 bought used for $550 in basement main shop, made by SSC, and a H5 in the garage bought new in 1988
    Once adjusted with a good sharp blade, very accurate. These are at the bottom and other models go up in price and quality. Then you start on the real production tools and the sky is the limit.
    Ron