Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip up TS outfeed table

Flip up TS outfeed table

Would you all mind telling me about your folding outfeed table for your TS?

My shop is small, and I've had in my mind to build one.

The little stands w rollers on top are a hassle to move around.

Everything I've come across seems very pricey or way too involved; Something simple, easy, and cheap would be great.

My SS is on a mobile base. A flip up table that attaches to guiderail would be great.

Best way to anchor? Regrets about drilling into cabinet? Maybe: "Never do what I did."?

Thanks, David
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

April Wilkerson made one for her SawStop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g66UhNaxivo

I made one for my saw not too long ago. Angle iron bolted to the cabinet, extended miter slots, melamine top. Works great. Of course, stuff gets stacked on top of it so it spends most of the time up, but what else is new?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    simple, easy, and cheap
    The mantra of the Wal-Mart generation . Seriously though, how simple are we talking about here? This looks pretty simple to me and folds up for storage but, my opinion doesn't really matter.

contractor-fold-up-outfeed.JPG

I would consider what the outfeed will be catching. Sheetgoods call for a different type of support than lumber. If you're not doing a lot of plywood and particleboard I would scale the outfeed down. This would also make it simpler and probably quicker to make.

Anywhere in my shop that has a flat surface generally has storage underneath. I know building drawers onto a carcass leads away from the "simple, easy, and cheap" model but, it sure is more useful.

Jim Becker made a great folding outfeed way back when . . .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-26-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I built one for my Unisaw but I’m sure it would fall into the too involved category.

MVC-750F.JPG

Jim Becker’s design is simple & effective.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Mine isn't fancy, just plastic laminate over 3/4 ply. It doesn't actually attach to the saw, it just rests on 2 wooden runners that are attached to the underside of the extension wings. Same leg hinges as April's video.

use drawer slides on each side of your tablesaw case. Attach top on the slides and maybe a roller on top of that. When you don't need it, slide it back under the sawtop.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

One thing that was vexing me was the stability of the runner across the back of the saw, proximal/hinge part.

April's method is great, and doesn't require any drilling through cabinet, or additional bracing-so that's perfect.

I believe (all her stuff) hinges for legs come from Rockler-they were not listed in YouTube description, etc

Bruce's table is excellent-a piece of art. Overkill for me, though.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I made one some years ago similar to Bruce's. It was attached to the saw and hinged down when not in use. Two legs on hinges pulled out when it was in the raised position and folded up into the table when not in use. It was not very difficult to make and did not take a lot of time make it.

I have more room now and made a permanent outfeed table.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I made a very very simple flip-down outfeed table for my sliding table saw.

http://imgur.com/a/L1jLJ

Thankfully the cast iron top already had some holes tapped into it!

I made my own last year: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...PCS&highlight=

Also, Sawstop is bringing out their own version later this year: http://www.sawstop.com/new-options

I made this one from Laney Schaughnessy's youtube channel. Big advantage is the table is supported off the saw not the floor. This means you can move the saw with the outfeed table in place, also means you don't need to worry about the floor being level. It's rock solid I can lift the front of my saw by pusing down on the back of the table.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt6s3rzF8jg&t=124s
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 07-26-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here is a recent thread on the subject: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=outfeed+table
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Repurposed Old Drafting Table

I built a short extension at the rear of my table saw. It's a plywood table covered with cheap laminate flooring. It's screwed to the runner at the rear of the saw and held up with angled 2x4s screwed into a piece of angle iron screwed to the rear of the cabinet. I then attached an old drafting table to the extension with a piano hinge. The table has folding legs on one end. It works great and also doubles as an assembly table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rod Sheridan made a cool one, might be worth looking that up.
    I would copy it, but there's two reasons that would foul the design.
    The first would be the outfeed fence rail, where the fence has a claw style system for clamping it down on both ends.
    And the second obstacle is the mobile base...
    If I had made the base design better, the foot lever would be sticking up even more (Maybe this could be modified though)
    Problem is axle inside cabinet would be much better closer to the end like it is on the other end, to move easier.
    SAM_1835.jpg
    I have yet to come up with something, I know I've seen saws over there with rails on the outfeed side,
    Someone must have made a nice rail hooking outfeed table ....I must get around to it
    Food for thought anyway I suppose

Tom