Thread: Respirator recommendation

Respirator recommendation

Okay...maybe hijacking an old thread isn't the "preferred" method for getting feedback. So I'll start a new thread.

I have zero dust collection in my "hobby shop" (read 3rd car garage). I'm going to start addressing that with a respirator. I found an informative thread from 2012 and a number of folks recommended the 3M 7500. Just wondering if those who use it or have used it think it's a good option to reduce inhaling sawdust particulates?

What filters do you recommend to protect from sawdust? How often do you find it necessary to change filters?

Thanks as always!
    Mike

2. I'm am using the 7500 with 2097 filters and it works fine for me but I have a dust collector and air filter running in my garage.

Mike

I have worn respirators in one form or fashion for the day job for close to 40 years. So I have some biases.

The respirator you refer to is what as known as a negative pressure respirator. In other words, you draw the air through the respirator filters and exhale through a check valve.
    Negative pressure respirators are nice for a short duration and that they can have different filters installed for different requirements, but if you are going to be wearing this for hours per day, it will get uncomfortable after awhile

The better respirator is a positive pressure respirator. In other words, air is drawn through a filter, and forced through the mask, which is nice because it cools your face and can be worn for extended periods of time. It will generally have a higher rating simply because the forced air is keeping any particulate matter out of the mask. For woodshop dust, the Trend Airshield is very nice. I know that it is very expensive, but it is a mask I have used many times in a radiologically contaminated environment, for extended lengths of time. They work!!

The 3M will do what you need it to do with the correct filter, but the Trend AirShield will be a much nicer alternative. With No dust collection capabilities at all, I would strongly advise the Trend Airshield.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Okay...maybe hijacking an old thread isn't the "preferred" method for getting feedback. So I'll start a new thread.

I have zero dust collection in my "hobby shop" (read 3rd car garage). I'm going to start addressing that with a respirator. I found an informative thread from 2012 and a number of folks recommended the 3M 7500. Just wondering if those who use it or have used it think it's a good option to reduce inhaling sawdust particulates?

What filters do you recommend to protect from sawdust? How often do you find it necessary to change filters?

Thanks as always!
    Mike
    Excellent move in protecting your lungs, I've wore the 3M 7500 for several years and can't say enough good about it. 3M has a excellent tech-line and will really enlighten you as to what filters to use for what purpose. For my self, I use the round, pink P100 filters for dust issues. They are very light and IMO will really help in making the 7500 comfortable to wear. I date my filters although keep a chart in hours worn and approximately how much dust I'm making during that time. I think a big mistake some make is to not read the instructions, fit and cleaning are important steps in keeping the respirator working as intended.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 07-21-2017 at 5:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Excellent move in protecting your lungs, I've wore the 3M 7500 for several years and can't say enough good about it. 3M has a excellent tech-line and will really enlighten you as to what filters to use for what purpose. For my self, I use the round, pink P100 filters for dust issues. They are very light and IMO will really help in making the 7500 comfortable to wear. I date my filters although keep a chart in hours worn and approximately how much dust I'm making during that time. I think a big mistake some make is to not read the instructions, fit and cleaning are important steps in keeping the respirator working as intended.
    Mac
    Mac,
    Thanks for the feedback! Living in Texas, I am concerned about how much hotter it's going to be wearing a half-face mask. Any safety feature/device isn't worth a damn if it isn't used.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Mike

I have worn respirators in one form or fashion for the day job for close to 40 years. So I have some biases.

The respirator you refer to is what as known as a negative pressure respirator. In other words, you draw the air through the respirator filters and exhale through a check valve.
    Negative pressure respirators are nice for a short duration and that they can have different filters installed for different requirements, but if you are going to be wearing this for hours per day, it will get uncomfortable after awhile

The better respirator is a positive pressure respirator. In other words, air is drawn through a filter, and forced through the mask, which is nice because it cools your face and can be worn for extended periods of time. It will generally have a higher rating simply because the forced air is keeping any particulate matter out of the mask. For woodshop dust, the Trend Airshield is very nice. I know that it is very expensive, but it is a mask I have used many times in a radiologically contaminated environment, for extended lengths of time. They work!!

The 3M will do what you need it to do with the correct filter, but the Trend AirShield will be a much nicer alternative. With No dust collection capabilities at all, I would strongly advise the Trend Airshield.
    Mike
    Thanks for the feedback on the Trend Airshield. FWIW, I am not usually in the shop making sawdust all day. On a busy day of sawdust making I'd say there's less than an hour or two of actual sawdust flying. Also, I realize that I need to get serious regarding dust collection and air filtration. Those will be an additional expense. I think for now I'm going to check out the 3M 7502 and adding DC and AF and see how that works. I am glad to know about other options going forward for sure.

Mike

I've used the 7500 as well and it works well. I also have the RZ M2 mask, which has various replacement filters and it's very light weight and easy to deal with.