Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! Norton Anti Virus questions

Talking Yippie!!! It's gone!

Yippie!!!! It's gone. Thanks Dave, Dan, Jim, Ken, and Saw Mill Creek. Thanks for all the ideas. The last thing I did was to start the computer in safe mode. I then went to the file and deleted it. It asked me if I wanted it in the recycle bin. I said yes. Then I shut down the computer and restarted it. Went to NAV and did a complete scan of the computer. It said there was one virus and it was in the recycle bin. So I went and emptied the recycle bin. Then I did another scan at NAV. This time no virus found. Yippie!!! So now I just hope I didn't delete something that maybe important later. I am a rather anxious person. Am I a computer person now?? This computer stuff is easy when you have smart friends. So should I get a firewall now??? Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. Pete Lamberty

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Pete, sorry I confused you with "system drive". In 99.99% of the cases it will be the C drive. M/S started all the alphabetic drive stuff back with DOS. Other OSs use a more basic form of IDing the drive involving the physical path from the cpu out to the device. The user only knows about "files" and doesn't even know where they are stored.

It looks like you did the best you can, and I think Dave A. has the right next step.

Good Luck
    Pete Lamberty

Thumbs up Feels good, right?

Congrats on solving the problem. It just goes to show that if you have enough guesses to pick from, you can get the correct answer
    Best Regards, Ken

Hi Ken, Could you explain to me the maintenance topic that you brought up. What web site do I go to to get the current maintenance? Who is the Redmond crew you wrote about? You said that I should be doing this every month. I have never done this. Please educate me. Thanks, Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Congrats on solving the problem. It just goes to show that if you have enough guesses to pick from, you can get the correct answer
    Pete Lamberty

The "maintenance" I was talking about is the "Windows update" button/option on your start list. Click start in the bottom left, and it should be at the top of the list which goes up the left side of your screen. One of the things that it will do for you is to install a program on your system which will check with M/S about once a day for what they call "critical updates". If it finds one, it will put a little "blinky" on the bottom right of your tool bar to tell you that you need to install an update.

Since not all updates are critical, I click on the "windows update" once or twice a week to keep up with other updates which have been released. I don't install everything that is recommended, for example, there is a 23 MB install of the "net framework" which I don't need/want, so I just ignore it.

I don't recall ever having a bad update by using this update method.
    Best Regards, Ken