Thread: Fruition Berry Farm

Fruition Berry Farm

This sign was done in the spring of.2009. Someone threw a beer bottle at it a year later, which I had no trouble repairing. I had....n't seen it again until last night when we took the grandmonsters raspberry pickin'.
    The owners said it was "in great shape". I decided to take a close look for myself, & true to form, the reds & maroons had faded to pinks & violets.
    So I called them today ( this young couple are possibly my favourite customers ever) & told them that over this winter, they need some touchups, & that there'd be no charge ( they're still under warranty)
    Anyway, I get a message back .... yes, they'll pull them down before the snow flies, & by the way, they need 2 more carved signs.
    So ..... back when I first started, I had no friggin idea how long my signs would last, so I decided to raise my prices by 10% & offer a "no time limit" first refurbishing free of charge. This was likely the best business move I've ever made. Very often, they don't even realize that their sign "needs some love", & also very often, while I'm putting it back up, they purchase another sign. Today's situation is a little different, but similar outcome ..... some winter work .......... always welcomed.
    For the record, I changed my warranty to 5 years back at the end of 2011. No reason other than I don't want to spend my 80's refinishing signs I made in my 60's ...... for free LOL

The "berry" logo is all handcarved, & our design. On Everwood 15lb HDU
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rodger MacMunn; 07-20-2017 at 6:57 PM.

beautiful sign TR, by the picture you can't tell the colors has faded.

Rodger, I don't make signs or carve or engrave. But every time I see you post one of your signs, I open the post and admire your work. It's always beautiful. Wish I had your eye for good design.

Fred

Tom .... this pic is from when it first went up. I didn't have the camera with me when I checked them, out the other night.

I'm with Fred, I wish I had your design eye.

Very nice work!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Like it ! Sell them something to replace those tiny sphere post "seed tops" with bigger fruit or finials!

Amazing work as usual Rodger. This is one of your more memorable signs, everything pops and the colors are eye candy even if they are a bit faded...I would have never known.

Thanks

Faded reds....

The reds were re-done this spring. You can see in this photo how much they faded out over 9 years. Donna has just started the re-paint. The "burgundy" panel you can just see a it of was faded out like the red, but I repainted it the day before. Not much else needed to be done to restore the sign to it's original appearance.
    For the record, this bit of warranty work probably cost me about $400 in total. Donna was 5 hours repainting the berries on both signs, & most of my time was travel to & from the farm. My very pleased customer ordered 2 more signs for their honey business, & over the summer season, these signs probably get at least 20,000 "up close" views so I think this $400 was a pretty good investment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rodger MacMunn; 07-03-2018 at 5:12 AM.

9. Very nice work and RE Touch up work Rodger. Is the texture on the lettering the Gorilla Glue gilding? Again very fine work.
    Neal Meyers Jr
    Euharlee Woodshop
    Guyton, GA
    "Move forward as if nobody is trying to Hinder you?" Abe Lincoln

Im with everyone else. Whenever I see one of your creations Im just like... dont ever try to make signs. What the heck. Freaky... Amazing work.

Every time I see Rodger's work, I find it very inspiring and educational...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wish I had those painting skills. Great sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Every time I see Rodger's work, I find it very inspiring and educational...
    I agree. Super impressive every time I see one.