Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lathe Dilemma - Buy another, modify or?

Lathe Dilemma - Buy another, modify or?

I'm beginning to realize the wisdom in having a lathe set up for the proper height. My Oneway 2436 has a spindle height of just over 49", a dimension generally suggested for a tall person. A bettery height for me would be around 43". What I'm considering is ...

• Cut down the legs.
    • Purchase new legs from Oneway.
    • Sell my lathe and buy another.

I have a rubber horse stall mat to stand on that has helped but it doesn't get me much closer to the desired height. The situation hasn't reached critical mass yet but it's beginning to bother me the more time spent in front of the lathe. What would you do? Suggestions?

PS If I purchased another lathe it would be another Oneway 2436. I'm totally satisfied with it, except for the height.

PPS It's my understanding that Oneway sells or sold these lathes with different length legs. If any tall Oneway lathe owner has a shorter version and would like to swap legs, please PM me.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 07-19-2017 at 6:51 PM.

Have you considered a 6" platform as another option?

You might keep adding height on your current lathe until you get exactly the height you are happy with. Once you find that height, turn at that height for awhile. Now you know what is the exact height for you.

You could then cut your legs to that height.

Just food for thought,

Happy turning,
    Michael

I would go with the platform option if possible. It saves some money, and some people find hollowing more comfortable with the lathe higher. Your platform can be moved for hollowing. My new midi is on the stand for my old (smaller) midi, and is too high for turning, but better for hollowing.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Steve, you have outlined some reasonable solutions.

Another thought:
    Remove and replace the legs with a bench of a lower height. Being a woodworker, you undoubtedly have the skillset to make a heavy-duty bench to accept the weight of your 2436. A couple of bonuses - - you can add a ballast box plus storage

I got one of the earlier Grizzly g0766 lathes that came with the legs of an earlier (smaller) lathe and as a result it was too high for me. Then Griz recognized that this approach limited some of the marketability so they decreased the height of their legs by about 2". I ended up getting a set of the shorter legs and am happy that I did.

Sorry, but I disagree with the platform solutions. They are a trip hazard getting on and off. Whenever possible modify the lathe to fit you. If you cut-down your Oneway you may negatively effect resale value. Oneway offers different size legs now, maybe you could get a set that fits you better. Or buy a Robust or Vicmarc, they have adjustable legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Edwards View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree with the platform solutions. They are a trip hazard getting on and off. Whenever possible modify the lathe to fit you. If you cut-down your Oneway you may negatively effect resale value. Oneway offers different size legs now, maybe you could get a set that fits you better. Or buy a Robust or Vicmarc, they have adjustable legs.
    I agree about the platform idea, that's why it wasn't included in one of the options. I've gotten used to the mat and it's nice to stand on for extended periods of time instead of a concrete floor but anything higher would at best be cumbersome, especially going to and from the sharpening station. While at Woodworkers Emporium recently I had a chance to look at some Vicmarcs and a Robust. I didn't care for how the Robust was made but the Vicmarc was impressive. I still like the Oneway better though and understand, after first starting this thread that they now have adjustable legs. I contacted one of the Oneway dealers to find out pricing and availability and will balance that against buying another lathe or constructing another set of legs from scratch. The later might be an interesting project, especially if adjustability can be worked into it. Constructing another set of legs instead of cutting down the existing ones might also be better in that I can use the lathe while working on the new legs.

It would seem to me that the best solution is to purchase the appropriate legs from oneway. I agree about the platform I used one for my grandson for a few years but was continually nervous about him tripping or falling while moving around.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I agree about the platform idea, that's why it wasn't included in one of the options. I've gotten used to the mat and it's nice to stand on for extended periods of time instead of a concrete floor but anything higher would at best be cumbersome, especially going to and from the sharpening station. While at Woodworkers Emporium recently I had a chance to look at some Vicmarcs and a Robust. I didn't care for how the Robust was made but the Vicmarc was impressive. I still like the Oneway better though and understand, after first starting this thread that they now have adjustable legs. I contacted one of the Oneway dealers to find out pricing and availability and will balance that against buying another lathe or constructing another set of legs from scratch. The later might be an interesting project, especially if adjustability can be worked into it. Constructing another set of legs instead of cutting down the existing ones might also be better in that I can use the lathe while working on the new legs.
    Steve,

If you have room in the shop a safe platform would be large enough to move around on and could be bounded at the rear or sides with railings or a workbench, cabinets, tool racks, etc. so you could never accidentally step off or trip on the edge. I'm sure safety standards would require something like that in industry - I've seen low metal platforms like that on special machinery and laboratory equipment.

If you buy new legs for the lathe remember you can probably sell the shorter legs in the future if you sell the lathe - there are probably others in the same predicament.

Hey, do you ever move the lathe? Is the floor concrete and beautiful or a bit like a lot of shops? A crazy idea is to cut a couple of rectangles out of the concrete and drop the legs. While this certainly seems extreme but it would preserve the resale value and the holes could be patched easily later. Or depending on the size of your budget a new lathe is always nice!

Oh, just to be completely crazy, another option (besides platform shoes) is lengthen your legs! No kidding, I know a girl born with one leg over an inch shorter than the other when she grew up. Rather than shorten the longer leg (the easy option) she opted for a procedure to lengthen the short leg. This involved cutting through the bone and separating it by a small amount, holding the pieces in perfect alignment with an external frame with stainless rods through the skin. The bone will slowly grow to fill the gap. Every few months they cranked on some threaded fittings and broke the new bone and made a new gap. This took a long time and was incredibly painful. I don't know how long it would take to increase 6 inches. Down side is you would need a new wardrobe.

JKJ

John's leg lengthening idea does seem a bit radical. This would be easier. The makeup and chest hair are optional, but would provide an authentic look. Paul Stanley made it work.

paul stanley.jpg
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    John's leg lengthening idea does seem a bit radical. This would be easier. The makeup and chest hair are optional, but would provide an authentic look. Paul Stanley made it work.

paul stanley.jpg
    Be sure to tie back the hair and fringe when working at the lathe.
    Chuck Taylor

The absolutely easiest solution is a platform, large enough to cover any stance you'll take at the lathe, and then just be careful. People trip and fall because they're not paying attention. Or put some railings on the thing if you're the falling type.

I would go with the platform option as well. I had to do that so that my wife could turn since the lathe is too high for her to use comfortably.

Steve, have you made a decision?
    Just like to hear which way you decide to go . . . .
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Steve, have you made a decision?
    Just like to hear which way you decide to go . . . .
    I should decide early this week. My Oneway dealer is checking on the cost for a replacement set of legs. After going through a few trials using some pallets as a makeshift platform I'm convinced it's not the way to go for me, especially when there are other alternatives. I would like to tackle making the legs myself and welcome the challenge to improve on the Oneway design. But with so many other projects ahead of me that might not be a wise use of my time for now. That essentially leaves me with 2 options - sell the existing lathe and buy another Oneway or purchase new legs. One undesirable part of the latter is having another set of legs to store and not use. Seems like a waste. I suppose it will eventually come down to what option is the least costly. Anyone have an idea of a fair value for the 2436? It has the 3 hp motor, RFI filter and breaking resistor and still looks new. I will be keeping all of the accessories to use on my new lathe.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 07-24-2017 at 1:07 PM.