Hey all

Long time lurker, first post. Reading the forums has helped me innumerable times.

I am what I call a hack. I can visualize, design, and build rough structures. Decks, rough-in framing, cabinetry carcasses, shelving units etc with no problem.

However I have just been volun"told" for 2 small projects that have me at a loss.

The first is below, the second I will post in the appropriate area of the forums.

My mother in-law requires a collapsible set of stairs to allow her 12yo bernese mountain dog to get in and out of her car.

Criteria is;
1) light enough for a 75yo 90lb woman to maneuver/operate
2) sturdy enough for a 120lb arthritic pup
3) folds or collapses for storage in the car, without taking room away from the dog

My first thought was to build nesting boxes, when stood on a side could be steps. I immediately built a set out of my last slab of WRC. Only to discover dogs do not have the same body mechanics we have. Making the steps wobbly and unsafe.

Before I ruin anymore lumber I'd like feedback on my next idea.

1/2" plywood construction. 20x24" main panel supporting 2 hinged 18x24" stringers . Removable treads that lock the stringers in place and lock the whole piece together when collapsed. Not a great description but hopefully good enough to get the idea across.

Critiques? Suggestions?
All appreciated. Thanks