Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Hammer K3 Winner won't power up....looking for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Hu....safety switch half way position.

I'll try this, after I get the dam control unit put back together. I've been chasing current and continuity with my Fluke for hours now. Figured I screwed something up when I swapped out the short cord with a longer one.

This thing has two rather large fuses. Mine were just dangling in the cabinet. They have a threaded stud on the bottom, for mounting. Why would Felder not mount them, verse have them just daggling in the cabinet?
    Are you sure they're fuses? Can you post a picture?

No, I'm not sure they are fuses. I think they are capacitors now.

After moving the safety switch to the "middle" position, I can now hear the motor relay engage, but the motor will not start. Doesn't matter if I hold the button in either. All I hear is vibration, or maybe humming?

Should be easy enough to see if you have current going to the motor. The humming you hear may just be the relay coil.

On my C3, those 2 capacitors are zip-tied to some part of the front frame.

Also make sure the Red Emergency Stop button on the side under the slider is in the out position. If that is in it won't start

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Horton View Post
    Also make sure the Red Emergency Stop button on the side under the slider is in the out position. If that is in it won't start
    Not to confuse things but my K3 does not have a red safety switch but being three phase may be the reason for that. I played with altering the tension on the isolation switch until I found it to be easier to detect the centre position.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I found two zip ties. The caps must have just came out during transport. Thanks for noting that, or I'd have not found them. Had to fit my fat head into the machine to see them.....

The problem was an OE terminal adaptor in the motor connector that plugs into the box where the power button and electronics are housed. A trip to NAPA and I was able to find one that would fit. Starts up fine now. I have not ever heard one of these machines run, or stop. It is normal to hear humming after I stop the machine? Mine hums for a few seconds after the blade comes to a stop.

Michael,

The hum you are referring to is likely the brake for the blade. The hum lasts a few seconds and then disappears.

It seems just like last week when your first post enquiring about the saw - time flies😁!

Regards,

J.

Congrats on getting it working!

As Jacques said, the buzzing is the brake and is normal.

Also make sure that when turning the motor on, you hold the button down until the blade is up to full speed - the motor doesn't have a centrifugal switch (like typical induction motors) and instead relies on you holding the button then releasing it a few seconds later to engage/disengage the starting winding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques Gagnon View Post
    Michael,

The hum you are referring to is likely the brake for the blade. The hum lasts a few seconds and then disappears.

It seems just like last week when your first post enquiring about the saw - time flies!

Regards,

J.
    Yah, time doesn't stop. It's only been about 8 months since I started thinking about buying one of these things. I'm in the process of deciding if I'm going to work off the front fence, or the rear fence. Or maybe just use both.

Appreciate all the help you've given me on this thing Jacques.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Congrats on getting it working!

As Jacques said, the buzzing is the brake and is normal.

Also make sure that when turning the motor on, you hold the button down until the blade is up to full speed - the motor doesn't have a centrifugal switch (like typical induction motors) and instead relies on you holding the button then releasing it a few seconds later to engage/disengage the starting winding.
    Thank you. It seems to spin up pretty quick. Definitely not seconds.... Wonder if mine is different?

I took a couple pics in case someone else runs into a similar problem.

Motor quick disconnect plug, box side (not sure exactly what it's called). This is actually on the "lid" of the box where the one/off button is mounted. The black thing is the back side of the on/off button. The white thing next to the on/off button is the offending quick disconnect plug for the motor.

20221029_144150.jpg

Bad/damaged connector. It was not fully set into the motor quick disconnect.

20221029_151517.jpg

Electronics/electrical box removed.

20221029_144209.jpg

One of the two capacitors. Could not get a pic of the second one.

20221029_144311.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    It seems to spin up pretty quick. Definitely not seconds.... Wonder if mine is different?
    With a 10" blade, it does come up pretty quick (probably <1s). But if you put a 12" blade on it, you'll notice it takes longer.