Thread: Base for Rigid palm router

Question Base for Rigid palm router

Has anyone found or made a base for the little Rigid router that will accommodate Porter Cable template guides? (or any template guide?) I really like that little router for delicate work, but would like it better if I could use templates.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Try: http://patwarner.com/ridgid_r2401.html

I had read that Pat was having some health issues, but his bases are the best you can buy, IMO.

Thank you Nick!
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

If Pat has what you need, that's the way to go. But if he doesn't, it isn't difficult to make a base plate which accepts the standard template guides. I made one for my small DeWalt. Quarter inch baltic birch, because I had it around. Counterbore, then through-drill, for the guide. Countersink the screws that mount it to the router.

PC router guides fit the square plastic base. You just have to make a shim out of thin stock the same thickness as the guide flange so it rides flat on your work. I used a piece of 1/8" bending plywood IIRC, and attach it with double stick tape, peel it off when I'm done. Works fine.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If Pat has what you need, that's the way to go. But if he doesn't, it isn't difficult to make a base plate which accepts the standard template guides. I made one for my small DeWalt. Quarter inch baltic birch, because I had it around. Counterbore, then through-drill, for the guide. Countersink the screws that mount it to the router.
    This works. 1 3/8" forstner bit for the shoulder recess and 1 3/16" for the through hole. I use the factory base for the mounting hole pattern and a vix type bit to mark the centers. I make the holes a little oversized to have some adjustment to center the bit in the bushing. I counterbore for the heads and use cheese head type screws so they're not self centering. I'm not familiar with the Ridgid router but the trickiest part might be marking the center hole. I've used a plunge base and installed a V groove bit to mark the new base then a small through hole so I can drill from both sides. You'd need to be able to lower the bit while keeping the motor snugly centered in the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Try: http://patwarner.com/ridgid_r2401.html

I had read that Pat was having some health issues, but his bases are the best you can buy, IMO.
    I emailed him - he is not at all well and no longer makes the bases. I was sorry to hear he was so ill.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna Johanson View Post
    I emailed him - he is not at all well and no longer makes the bases. I was sorry to hear he was so ill.
    Very sad to hear that. Don't know what your level of router experience is, but there's a lot of good information on his web site. I also managed to find a couple of his books (used) on Amazon.