Thread: Enlarging paper plans.

Enlarging paper plans.

Ok, here is the problem , and the question....

Got the plans to make a blanket chest out of a magazine. Plans say 1 SQUARE = 1 INCH.

When I measured the Squares, they are exactly 3/16 " square.

Is there a way to enlarge paper plans so that they are full size ?

One half of the front skirt is 22 squares long x 6 1/4 squares wide

Can these plans be enlarged if I can find a large paper printer?

Yes. you can enlarge them to full size with a large printer. You might take them to your local office supply place and let them copy them full size.

Very likely the intent was for you to layout a full size grid on a piece of pattern stock and then draw in the curves free hand.

If you have an electronic copy of the plan, I could make a drawing and a PDF file of the apron that can be printed at full size on large paper. You'd just have to send the plan file to me.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 07-09-2017 at 8:02 AM.

Go to a copier shop and get them enlarged. You don't need them scanned, just simple optical enlargement. You can even cut them up into A4 and enlarge piece by piece if necessary. Cheers

If they are just line art, you can scan to Corel or other graphics software, clean up, resize, then use a vinyl plotter with pen instead of blade to print it out full size. It takes time, and skill, but worth it if you do it a lot. Otherwise, use Dave's suggestion, and take it in to be enlarged on a large format printer.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Won't there be some distortion when enlarging the plans via copier?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Could be. Depends on the copier. I frequently get "full size" copies of plans to work from. They are usually not exactly 1:1. Usually they are off different amounts in both directions. When i send a full size pattern as a PDF to my local office supply store, the dimensions come out right on in both directions.

Probably better to go through the PDF to printer step I suggested.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 07-13-2017 at 4:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    A good copy place should be able to enlarge them. It is nice that they have grid lines. Measure the final copy and adjust until it is the right size in both directions.

Steve

3/16" = 0.1875"
    1/0.1875 = 5.33
    You need to enlarge the current plan drawings by 533% so that the 3/16" squares will be enlarged to be 1" square.

I've used Bigprint software for the past several years. Sometimes I use it to scale up a small drawing I've made, sometimes it helps to get size from photos. It is easy to use and inexpensive. If there are inaccuracies in printing to scale in your printer, you can accomodate for that. I love it.
    https://woodgears.ca/bigprint/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Kalker View Post
    I've used Bigprint software for the past several years....
    I just saw this thread and I assume the job is already done. But for others with this need there is always the time honored method that only needs a large piece of paper, a ruler, and a pencil. If the original plan doesn't have a grid you have to draw one over it first. Draw a 1" grid on the paper. For each square, draw any lines in the corresponding square on the original, estimating the points where the lines touch the edge of the square. It usually doesn't have to be perfect. This will give a usable drawing at the desired scale. I've done this many times over the years.

Another old fashioned method is to use an opaque projector. These used to be common in classrooms. Set the projector on the original and project the image onto a large piece of paper positioned to make the scale right. Trace the lines on the large paper.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    A Pantograph makes accurate enlargements or reductions of line drawings.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute