Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epilog Mini Question

I agree 1/4" is pushing it for a 30 watt. Possible, yes, but you may not like the result. Have the seller (try to) cut some for you. Also very suspicious about the Serial #. Proceed with caution.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Unless he has something to hide, I can't imagine why anyone would be reluctant to give you the serial number. That is a bit of a red flag, it would just make me a bit more cautious but not be a deal killer on its own. The real deal killer, however, would be your desire to cut 1/4" acrylic and/or wood with a 30 watt machine. I had a 30 watt machine and cut plenty of 1/8" acrylic and wood, and it was a bit slow but not horrible. I cut 1/4" very rarely and I can tell you it was painfully slow and definitely not a way to make money. My 80 watt Trotec does an awesome job at 1/4", it's faster than my 30 watt was with 1/8". You may not need 80 watts, but 30 isn't going to cut it - no pun intended...

Quote Originally Posted by Torie Robinson View Post
    ...cutting and engraving 1/8th - 1/4th inch wood and acrylic, which I don't feel is asking too much and my designs are fairly simple...
    In your budget range and intended application, you might consider going with a local distributor of Chinese lasers or look into importing one yourself, if you're pretty self-insufficient. You will likely need more than a 30 W machine and may not benefit from the potentially faster engraving speed of the Epilog.

Also, a little nervous about that price and unwillingness to pass along a serial number of a machine out of warranty.

I agree with Gary's remarks. Cutting 1/4" wood with a 30 watt unit is doable but very slow. I used to make 2 or more passes to minimize charring.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Great stuff, really glad I brought up wattage. To be clear, I will almost exclusively use 1/8th ply and occassionally acrylic. 1/4th is just more of a consideration or perk that would be nice. Though I'm sure the more I work with a machine the more I'll want to be able to do. I will be sure to push the serial # issue much harder as well. Thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by Torie Robinson View Post
    Any idea what the issue is with laser tubes? How can one last 10 months, while another 10 years? These things have been a major concern of mine in regards to even entering the craft.
    In my limited experience, tubes can last years, or months. Why? I can only guess quality control and random factors. My first Epilog tube lasted just past warranty. The next one (from Epilog) lasted a very short time (couple of months) and was replaced under warranty. Next one was not much better (also replaced under warranty). The last one lasted several years. [Since in Fiji we pay full duty and VAT on the VALUE of imported goods PLUS the shipping cost, whether or not they are free-of-charge warranty replacements, the bad tubes cost me more than a thousand dollars.]
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.