Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilog Mini Question

Epilog Mini Question

Hi Sawmill Creek Community,

I am a first time poster looking for some advice or guidance. I am interested in buying my first laser cutter and have been in contact with someone locally who is selling their Epilog Mini 24 (30 watt). I’ve visited and seen it in action - cut and engrave some specific designs of mine. It looks in great working order and well cared for.

From what I know: it is about 4 years old, I would be the third owner, and its seen only light usage over the past 2 years as a hobby machine working primarily with wood and paper. The original owner utilized it for custom sign making. Its only known repair is a laser tube/cartridge recharge by the first owner. The asking price is $8500 and includes an air compressor and exhaust blower.

I’m new to the market, so I am not very accustomed to gauging prices on used machines. Thus, my main question: is this a fair price and do I have room to negotiate?

If I was looking at this machine, I would get the serial number and call Epilog to ask them to confirm the production time based on the serial number. I would want to know more about this machine and why it had a tube recharge in less than four years (if it really is just four years old). At four years old, if the current owner has had it for two years and the tube was recharged by the original owner who thus owned it for two years or less, then that repair should have been done under warranty and Epilog should have a record of that.

I would not be surprised if you found out the age of the machine is different. If the unit turns out to be much older than claimed, you could try to use that and the fact the history would now be a bit unknown to bargain down on the price. Epilogs retain their value pretty well though.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 07-06-2017 at 10:11 AM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Seems high to me, for a mini that's 30W. Like $2,000 too high.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

That is way too high for a 4 year old machine, especially one that has had the tube replaced within the first two years. I would probably keep looking.

I would say just right or a little low in price. You have to remember these mini's are made like tanks & will run day in & day out. I do have to admit these later machines were not as good as the early ones. Still a great machine. As suggested, contact Epilog about it's record.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I also think the price is as much as $2000 too high.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I stand by my statement, with some reservations - I am very curious as to why such a new machine needed a recharge. If that's true - don't buy it. If it was a replacement, you should be good. My Mini is 11+ years old and still running on it's original tube. Like I said the early Mini's might be superior to the later models.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I make my statement based on the price of a new Zing or Rayjet. I'd be hard pressed to pay $8,500 for a 30W laser that's 4 years old, with no warranty, when I can get about that same power of machine, new, with a warranty, in that same ballpark price range. If it were a 50w or 60w, I'd say it might be priced right, but for me, that's too much for a 30W.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Torie,

After you get the serial number to confirm the age of the laser and after you've had a chance to "kick the tires" on it (don't buy it without seeing it since you're buying from an individual vs. a distributor), I'd say grab it.

$8500 is a good price for that unit.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-06-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    Jeanette Brewer
    Engraving Concepts

My legend is basically the same and is running now on the 11th year. It's on the 3rd tube, the first was replaced after 10 months on warranty, the second a year later. The 3rd lasted until last February. Mine is 45 watts but the tube was $2,300.
    As I recall the 12x18 mini new is about $12,000, 4 years old I would expect it to lose 50%, but if really nice and low hours that price may be Ok. I would, however, try to talk them down to 6k.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

My take is that it's not an outrageously high price, but is more a good price for the seller and at best a fair price for a buyer. Definitely room to negotiate! I've purchased two of them (one much older and in quite well-used shape and the other also about 4 years old and in very good shape) and the combined price was within a couple hundred dollars of that one's asking price. All depends on how bad you want it, how bad the seller wants to get rid of it, and how much time you each have. Regardless of price, make as certain as you can that 30W and the bed size are enough for your longer term needs because it isn't economical to upgrade wattage and the only recourse if you need more power or bigger bed size is to buy yet another machine, which puts you on the shorter end of the stick again.

Wow, thank you to everyone for such a great response. This has all been some awesome feedback.

I prefer this machine for of its bed size (24x12), its local, and because it is an Epilog. I wasn't too surprised by its laser tube issue, because from what I've gathered, that is an exceedingly common and expected repair, but please correct me otherwise. I've had hesitations about the wattage (30w), but my main usage of the machine will be for cutting and engraving 1/8th - 1/4th inch wood and acrylic, which I don't feel is asking too much and my designs are fairly simple. Once again, correct me if am mistaken. I had inquired about the serial number, but the seller didn't want to give it up - though is totally willing to call Epilog in person together for the history. There is a also a local Epilog distributor who I am interested in reaching out to about the Zing.

Thanks again and please let me know if there are any other major questions I should be asking.

Any idea what the issue is with laser tubes? How can one last 10 months, while another 10 years? These things have been a major concern of mine in regards to even entering the craft.

Blog Entries
    Quarter inch with 30 watts? Good knot free solid wood, Very good quality plywood. Cheaper ply with voids and lots of extra glue does not cut well at all.
    I have to kick up to 55% of my power, 80w, to completely cut thru for sure 5mm ply. Don't do much acrylic, but again, quarter inch may be pushing it. Or you will just be crawling. Others with 30w mini will confirm or over turn me......
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Why is he hesitant to dive you the serial number.