Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Let's see your Neander Shop!

I'm betting the carpet is glued down already and anything beats concrete.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    Brian, please do not take me wrong as per your history in these forums (fora?) I am the first person to acknowledge you know what you are doing, but I cannot see the rational behind to have carpet in the woodworking workshop. I never had saw that anywhere in the world... even for a sewing shop I has seem people preferring hardwood floor instead of carpet.

What are your reasons to go to carpet?

Thanks in advance for your answer!
    Don’t knock it, ‘til you've Tried it.

The carpet was there before I was so I left it, it’s gotten positive response from friends and students alike.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 04-09-2018 at 8:19 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I put my bench in the basement on carpet and pad and I love it.
    Bought a cheap-o vacuum and a plastic sheet for when things need to get messy.

I’ll second Brian on the carpet thing. I personally have rubber commercial gym mat in my home shop. At work old hardwood floors.

A great reason to have or leave the carpet. Brian was teaching me via FaceTime to setup my first Japanese planes. I was hours into one plane and I somehow as happens from time to time in a shop dropped the blade on the floor.

The blade I spent hours working to perfection got a small “but large chip” on one corner or maybe it’s called the meme. Maybe the meme is the small opening to the right and left of the blade in dai. I don’t know.

Anyway I was heartbroken and forced to sharpen away plenty of good steel to repair the blade to its previous hard earned perfection.

At least one or two times a year a chisel takes a spill. Not such a big deal when it a LN and much less fragile steel and or I don’t care the same about it. But when my first Japanese chisel took a spill off the bench my heart dropped with it. Thank god this time I had arranged rubber mats on all four sides of my bench.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrick, it’s saved me a time or ten as well.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.