Thread: A 3 hour sawtill

A 3 hour sawtill

My saw collection was steadily growing for over a year until I decided to thin the herd bit...before I ended up purchasing a bunch of new backsaws. Anyways, I needed a place to store them, so I built a sawtill. I'm in the midst of building a coffee table for my wife that I promised her last year, so I couldn't spend too long on designing or building it. I played it by ear on this one, built it without any crucial measurements beyond a rough estimate of a future proof amount of space on the till.

Total working time on this was probably around 3 - 4 hours. If I had planned ahead it would have been 3, the last hour was mostly fiddling around with the kerfs for the saws to get them to seat securely, as the till is quite 'steep'. Partway through coping out the rough shape the saw jumped out of the cut and got a finger on my left hand on the push stroke - 8 hours later I was in the emergency with 5 stitches in my index finger. Looking back I should've moved the piece in my vise so I didn't have to support the extremities with my left hand. Anyways I powered through the assembly today with 9 digits.

I arranged the saws by type, with flush cut saws on the outside, the dovetail saws first, followed by tenon saws, followed by the larger tenon saws. Next up is my miter box saw whose handle I reshaped to make it more attractive, followed by my panel saws, from small (and high tpi) to large (and small tpi). My favourite saws of the bunch have to be my two LN saws - the thin kerf and the tooth geometry make them a breeze to start and track. The Bad Axe sash saw is a thing of beauty and excels in hardwoods (not so much in softwoods). I left some space as I do intend to eventually get a couple Wenzloff saws - I clearly don't need them but I know I will end up getting them. Sorry I don't know how to rotate the images in the post editor - if someone can enlighten me that would be appreciated.

20170702_201948.jpg20170702_211211.jpg20170702_133357.jpg20170702_211218.jpg20170702_201835.jpg
    Last edited by Hasin Haroon; 07-03-2017 at 2:24 AM.

So that was a 3 hour + 8 hour emergency room build ;-)

Nice simple design. Much better then my plywood and screws sawtill.

I agree with Kees. You should really change the title to "The 11 hour saw till."

Seriously though, I like it. Nicer then the one I whacked together to move my saws a few months ago.

Sorry about your finger. I hope it heals quickly.
    Nice saw till though. I have one much like it made of poplar.
    Fred

Very nice. It never dawned on me before seeing yours, that a bottom is not necessary. Doh!

Hope the finger heals ok. You did that with a hand saw or chisel?

You should probably give fair warning to anyone helping you to watch out as you let 'er rip. Were you possibly a field surgeon in the civil war in a previous life?

All seriousness aside, you have inspired me to build one like it today or tomorrow! (possibly including a few drops of blood as well if based on my own experience )

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

Thanks everyone. It was a project light on time and material. Unfortunately 11 hour sawtill doesn't quite have the same ring to it, so I'll stick with the working time

Allen, the cut was from a coping saw. Maybe I should try out as a surgeon in one of those modern day medieval communities!

I like the saw. I don't care much for the injury!

Utilitarian, efficient, attractive; what more would you want from shop 'furniture'?
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson