Thread: I changed my 26-year old table saw

Cool I changed my 26-year old table saw

After 26 years I changed my table saw.

For all those years I have used a Brazilian manufactured Acerbi 10-in contractor saw, v-belt driven with an embedded base. It is very solid with iron cast table and a powerful 3-hp Weg motor. It was reasonably precise but with a very easily misadjusting for riveting knife at such point I gave up to use it. It was loud and with a small table... but I got a lot of work and enjoyment from it as I have made lots of cabinetry and other small projects using it...

I changed it by a Makita 2704 contractor saw.

The new saw has a bigger table and with a great extension. The table is also dead flat. The fence arrived very well adjusted with an error of 0.1 mm +/- 0.1 mm related to saw disk. The miter gauge despite to present some slack in the table channels, for my surprise, could get precise and consistent 90 degrees cuts. The table saw is light at the point a single men can with some effort load and unload it in a truck even with no trolley. The safe stuff is a little cumbersome but it works. The soft start is great and the dado accessory can allow it to be a serious tool for any workshop IMO.

On the other hand I will miss my cast iron table - that aluminium table does not feel as sturdy as my previous table saw. Besides that, the new saw is loud! Louder than my previous old saw. It looks it a characteristics from a "direct drive" contractor saws...

Brazil is a metric country. Almost everything is metric sized but the flange for this saw is imperial 5/8-inch so I need adapters for saw blades usually sold locally at 30 mm or 25 mm arbor.

Besides the general purpose saw disk accompanying the saw, I purchased a 10-in Freud saw blade specific for use with man made materials (30 mm arbor). It is my first Freud saw blade... guy, it trashed all my previous blades!

I have to test the dust extractor... it doesn't look me effective... let us see!

So far, so good.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 07-02-2017 at 7:07 PM. Reason: typo error

Good news! We'll look forward to hearing more as you use the saw for a while.
    Fred

Congratulations on your new saw.....

I half expected you to say that you replaced it with a much older saw.

When you think about it, keep us informed on what you think; for example, how well does the dust extraction work?

Update:

The good:

1) Dust extractor works better than expected. Of course, as you do not have dust extractor over the table, the work is not perfect. I estimate some 20-25% of the total saw dust is not extracted.. but it is way better than my previous saw that had no dust extractor

2) Although the table is bigger than my previous saw, the thing pass thru (standard sized) door. I could not move my previous saw to my garage without a PITA dismantling part of it. Now it is easier. I added a base with canister for yet easier moving if needed

3) It is way lighter but look sturdy... as sturdy as my previous cast iron saw

4) The accompany Makita saw blade is great. It can make very clean cuts, included for particle board. It looks I did not need to purchase the Freud disk for man made materials

5) The saw is surprisingly precise (it is made in the USA). Both saw fence and miter gauge. It was a big surprise mainly for the miter as it really have some slack... but the cuts are precise. I have to figure out the reason

The bad:

1) The thing is noise. Due to my experience with portable Makita tools I was expecting something quieter

2) It is a PITA to remove the saw guard. You need to work with two screws under the table

Bottom line is I am very glad with the new saw and I have no regrets. My neighbor is also glad as I gave him my previous Acerbi saw. I recommend that saw for amateur woodworkers.

Thanks for following up with us. I'm glad you like your new saw!