Thread: Dwyer dust bin level monitor

Dwyer dust bin level monitor

Does anyone have any FIRST HAND experience with using a paddle level monitor like the Dwyer DBLM (http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Le...dle/SeriesDBLM ) for their dust collection bin?

I am buying a Dust Gorilla Pro, but the reviews for their Dust Sentry level indicator are hit and miss. I don't mind spending the extra money for the Dwyer DBLM if it's going to be something that I can rely on more than the Dust Sentry (or other infrared/electric eye type indicators that get covered with dust).

Does anyone know if sawdust will stop the Dwyer DBLM paddle from rotating when the bin gets full? Thanks!

Interesting. Never seen that one. For the price I think Id rather stick with the more common options, but its certainly an interested concept.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have the older Oneida unit that looked exactly like the dwyer unit you posted. Mine has a single bent led that spins around and when dust gets high enough it stops,rocks the motor and closes the switch to the light. Absolutely love this unit and have never overflowed the bin since using it.

Retired Chemical Engineer: Over MANY years I used a couple hundred of them in industries ranging from sugar refining to waste materials (including sawdust) to munitions disposal. Only place I couldn't make them work reliably was it bins of silica aero-gel - The stuff was so light, fluffy, and of variable density, that one time it would trigger under a few inches of depth & the next keep running at 3 feet deep! The Dwyer is pretty much standard equipment for many powdered products.

In the case of a dust bin under a cyclone, where would the Dwyer be mounted? The website says "side mounted", does that mean it couldnt be mounted upside down in the lid of the dust bin?

Similar to Dick's reply, as a retired Electrician w some industrial maintenance experience, Myself, I would definitely choose the Dwyer concept over some led or whatever.

It's a time tested general concept, different Mfg's, same idea.. senses when impeller is impeded by the bulk material.

Re - Side (Horizontal orientation of Dwyer shaft) or top (vertical shaft), only the mfg knows for sure.

I would assume if I had to, the Dwyer doesn't care mounting direction, it simply spins slowly all the time, and when the impeller is impeded, it opens the ckt.

I'll bet it could be used in any position, and in different places in the product bin, depending on what you need it to do.

As an example, let's say you have a situation where monitoring your bin level is critical.My experience, in industrial mineral processing plant, with a whole plant, and 300 employees on the clock,depending on function of ALL machines in the line.

There, you may use like 3 of these per bin.. maybe one at 50%, a 2nd at %80, and a 3rd at 95% ..the first two showing plant operator like a green light, a yellow light, lastly, a red light, and alarm.

I think I would advise against top mounting though, cause unless you somehow plan around it you will have no buffer capacity (empty head space reserve), hence will have to stop your incoming dust source immediately and empty the bin.

Even though that's a simple machine, the $178 list is pretty darn reasonable for industrial grade unit.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-30-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Okay, so lets say one went with the Dwyer DBLM, if its mounted on the side of a steel drum, how would one compensate for the curvature of the drum to maintain an air tight seal? Just tighten down the mount washers and use silicone around the inner and outer mount hole area?

Also, if you mount it on the side, it wouldnt be possible to use a drum liner or plastic bag. For the Oneida application I cant see how one couldnt mount it anywhere but on top in the lid.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 08-01-2017 at 4:35 PM.

Re Curvature - Sure like you said , RTV Silicone Caulk.

Now, if you got a removable disposable plastic bag, then I dunno.

Never worked w that.

Then, unless somebody has another alternative, I guess you mount it on the lid.

POSSIBLY, IDK, one could extend the shaft a bit for more headroom warning time.

Keep in mind, I only have experience w these "paddle Bindicators" of different brands, and NO knowledge or experience of any electronic, LED, or other Oneida indicator products.

So, I am JUST talking about this style of detector.

And the bag certainly presents a challenge. Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 08-01-2017 at 9:02 PM.

Think Ill give Dwyer a call and see what they have to say about mounting the DBLM in the lid of a bin. I dont see why it would matter other than the fill level having to be very close to the top to stop the paddles turning.

I think the only main thing to ask is if any problem mounting vertical.

If OK, then a possibility could be.. imagine taking a steel large old style coffee can, and mounting it in the lid of the dust bin w the top of the can flush w lid, and the bottom of the can projecting down about 8" lower.

The Dwyer would be premounted on that floor of the can, within the can, and the top would be just a dust cover, could even just be the coffee can plastic snap on lid, with a slot for the cord.

OR, maybe NOT cover the can, so Dwyer will run cooler.

So that would give about 8" more headroom "emergency reserve" like capacity in the bin after the Dwyer quits spinning.

Whatever the height of that can, or "sleeve" one makes.

Rather than coffee can, could use large PVC pipe with some mounting flange at the top that would sit on a hole in the dustbin cover.

A plain, hopefully flat, NOT domed endcap on the bottom end to mount the Dwyer.

Whatever pipe size the Dwyer needs to enclose the motor... leaving some airflow cooling space.

Just ideas.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 08-01-2017 at 11:52 PM.

I found an image of what mine looks like sorry for the hyperlink but am at work

https://goo.gl/images/XTj1hG

The plastic arm extends down into my dust bin around 8 inches. Mine is mounted on the top of the dust bin lid. Worked perfect for 3 years until I moved. Will be set up the same as soon as I re-install my dust collector.

Looks like one of those "Come hither" motion... ahem..... "Toys".

Marc