Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Moxon Vise Hardware

Which Moxon Vise Hardware

Some recent reading, including this thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Vise-Question has convinced me that a moxon vise is a good idea. After looking around, I see there a quite a few options on hardware. Benchcraft, Texas Heritage, and Tools For Working Wood all seem like popular choices. Anyone have any thoughts comparing these and/or other suggestions?

As a secondary question, can a moxon vise be effectively used for holding a board for edge planing? My front facing vise isn't very good and has a lot of racking. I plan on doing a full bench build in the next few months but was wondering if this might serve as a decent stand in for holding stock for edge planing until I get that completed.

I just finished building my first Moxon vise using Benchcraft hardware. I'm very happy with it, but can't offer a comparison with other manufacturers.

In terms of using the vise for edge planing, I see two potential issues. First, the moxon vise holds work higher off the bench for easier sawing and dovetail work. A board might be positioned too high for comfortable edge planing in this type of vise -- especially if the board is wide. Second, typically the moxon vise is held down to the benchtop using holdfasts or clamps. You might need to setup a batten or something to prevent lateral movement in the vise as you are planing across it.

I built my Moxon by ordering a 3' length of Acme thread and some Acme nuts from a website that sells lots and lots of metal stuff - was it Enco? or something similar? I bought a couple of hand wheels from McMaster Carr that fit my purpose and saved quite a bit of money by not purchasing a ready-made kit. As I recall, I probably could have bought all of my materials from McMaster Carr, but either found a slightly cheaper option or the Acme thread length availability from a different source. I also had a couple of 2"+ thick chunks of white oak laying around that I used for the chops. if you are interested, I can take a few photos of my build for you to use.
    David

Lake Erie makes an all-wood one if you're interested:

https://www.lakeerietoolworks.com/co...vise-screw-kit

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I built my Moxon by ordering a 3' length of Acme thread and some Acme nuts from a website that sells lots and lots of metal stuff - was it Enco? or something similar? I bought a couple of hand wheels from McMaster Carr that fit my purpose and saved quite a bit of money by not purchasing a ready-made kit. As I recall, I probably could have bought all of my materials from McMaster Carr, but either found a slightly cheaper option or the Acme thread length availability from a different source. I also had a couple of 2"+ thick chunks of white oak laying around that I used for the chops. if you are interested, I can take a few photos of my build for you to use.
    If you have any pictures handy, I'd love to see them.

Blog Entries
    My two choices, if money were no object, would be Benchcrafted or Lake Erie Toolworks. The first for the fine tolerances and quality, and the second because wood screws are cool and hold really well.

The cheaper route is David Eisenhauer's suggestion above, or get press screws.

There is a guy on ebay from the Russian Federation (seller: 1962geos). He makes 46 mm diam wooden screws and moxon vise kits. I have purchased ~12" (336 mm) moxon kit, and he also made a pair of 18" screws for me as well with all additional hardware needed. I wouldn't hesitate to contact him with your needs. Just use very clear and plain english. His prices are fair and the product is very well made beech. His name is George Soros.

As an aside, he was a very honorable seller. My second set of screws got hung up in customs, and he sent be another without question. I ultimately got the original set and paid him for both, but wouldn't hesitate about buying from him again.
    Last edited by Noah Magnuson; 07-01-2017 at 8:25 AM.

A few photos, John, of my home brew Moxon. I wanted the Acme thread to run out the back of the vise to keep from hanging myself on the exposed threaded rods, so I used some hand wheels that are capped on the end and attached to the Acme with Allen screws. I buried an Acme nut on the outside of the back chop and put a cover over the buried nut to prevent it from working loose and being pushed out of the chop. I had intended to use some type of bronze bushing for the Acme threads to ride in, but never got around to it. It works OK as it is, with the front chop occasionally sticking to the Acme thread when opening it up, but not much effort to clear it after you get used to it. Adding some suede leather to the chops definitely upgraded the performance. I left the top of my front chop full thickness so that I can use it as a flat platform for the back of my chisels to ride on when paring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    A few photos, John, of my home brew Moxon. I wanted the Acme thread to run out the back of the vise to keep from hanging myself on the exposed threaded rods, so I used some hand wheels that are capped on the end and attached to the Acme with Allen screws. I buried an Acme nut on the outside of the back chop and put a cover over the buried nut to prevent it from working loose and being pushed out of the chop. I had intended to use some type of bronze bushing for the Acme threads to ride in, but never got around to it. It works OK as it is, with the front chop occasionally sticking to the Acme thread when opening it up, but not much effort to clear it after you get used to it. Adding some suede leather to the chops definitely upgraded the performance. I left the top of my front chop full thickness so that I can use it as a flat platform for the back of my chisels to ride on when paring.
    David, it's interesting to see how you sourced your Moxon hardware. I know Jonathan Katz-Moses recommends McMaster-Carr, too.

I'm debating the screw configuration. The way you did it has two advantages: 1) you avoid Acme threads protruding out past the wheels, and 2) you have the option of a much deeper vise opening. But I'm wondering about the long-term effect of rotating the screws inside the chop. Now that you've had some years with it, do you find that you wear into the tops of the holes in the chop?

I have two Moxon vises: first made, was a large one, made with acme threaded veneer press screws and it wirks great. The second was one I built earlier this year. It is smaller (14" between screws), and used the hardware from "Tools for Working Wood", and I quite like the hardware and the vise! Do not fail to consider "Toolls for Working Wood"!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Doesn't Tom Bussey sell them? I'm sure I saw an ad in the classifieds.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I bought Tom's hardware and think it is great. Recently posted on the Moxon I built with it.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

You can buy a thread cutting kit for threading woo ( tap and die )and make your own. I have used some old parallel clamps that had wooden screws. Here in the midwest we have a lot of humidity and the threads tend to swell up so sometimes they turn easy and sometimes they are sticky. I Have nothing against Lake Erie wooden screws it is just that prefer metal when it comes to screws.

And again personally for edge planing I prefer a shoulder vise and I also use it s a moxon type vise a lot of the time. And the last is the front side of my finished bench which sees a lot more action than the back side.

DSC03258.JPG DSC03247.JPG DSC03414.JPG
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM Martin View Post
    Some recent reading, including this thread - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Vise-Question has convinced me that a moxon vise is a good idea. After looking around, I see there a quite a few options on hardware. Benchcraft, Texas Heritage, and Tools For Working Wood all seem like popular choices. Anyone have any thoughts comparing these and/or other suggestions?
    I've used them all, and they all work – as does homemade hardware. The one thing to consider is that on the TFWW kit, you have slightly less usable length on the screws – EVEN IF you choose a thinner, slightly curved front chop, as shown on the kit page. (That said, I've rarely needed more than 2" front to back in a twin-screw). I like the handles on the TFWW one; they can be moved out of the way (which is necessary, because in the top position, they project above the chop). But I don't think I'd use that hardware for a 24"-between-screws Moxon (which is my preferred size, for large casework). But it's great for a smaller vise. For a larger vise, with a thick front chop, I'd go with more substantial screws.

It seems the hardware components are fairly straightforward –– for the most part. Using the price leader Benchcrafted as the example, their kit includes:
    (2) 3/4" 6 tpi Acme screws, 8" long
    (4) matching nuts, 2 per side
    (4) thick washers
    All of these are readily available at McMaster Carr for about $25 for all ten parts, and probably from others for less.

The rub comes with the 5" cast iron handwheels. You can get these anywhere also, and cheap ($10 to $20 each), but not already threaded for the 3/4" Acme. For my part, I want the handwheels to be the only moving part, not to have the gnarly, sharp-edged threaded rods turning with every use inside precisely milled holes in a 4-pound chop –– especially at the end of the turn when the chop gets forced against the work. I think the milled holes would degrade fast. (Just pushing the chop across stationary rods seems like it would eventually wear a recess in the top of the holes. Does anybody find that?) One important attraction of the Moxon for me is the effortless little twist required to lock down the board. That means the handwheels need to be threaded, and the threads become the most critical feature.

For that you need a tap, and they seem to cost $150 for the tap itself. Also, for a Big Boy like that you need a tap wrench. These seem to go into the $110 to $200 range alone. But the key is really the expertise of tapping such a gonzo thread through 2" of cast iron, and obtaining a silky smooth fit. I dare say that leaves out most of us.

Benchcrafted has monetized this machining operation by cleverly noticing that woodworkers who want Moxon hardware are way over their heads when it comes to this level of machining. That's why they can charge $164 for $50 of hardware: it's the value they add by providing professional fit and finish to the hand wheel threads.

If only I knew a machinist. Maybe I'll start looking up that tree. It can't cost $100 to tap two highly refined threads. Can it?

Maybe I should just buy from the company that got there first. A decent middle of the road front vise costs $150+ after all.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 04-22-2020 at 11:01 AM.