Thread: Osmo polyx oil/top oil finish

Osmo polyx oil/top oil finish

Read about Polyx oil in the latest FWW, and wonder if anyone has experience with this product. A search of reviews on Amazon found mostly 4 and 5 stars.

I am interested in using it on some live-edge walnut slabs to be used in our kitchen area renovation. But Wait! Though it is kitchen area, it is not directly kitchen counter. One slab will float in front of a large picture window, another will float over a peninsula above the counter that has the sink. This slab will be a kind of breakfast bar, so it will see eating and drinking. Two more, smaller slabs will be open shelves for plates and glasses.

The polyx appeals because it is more of an in-the-wood finish. I don't want a plastic film of protection on this beautiful wood. It is repairable, which is good unless it needs to be repaired often. And I'm not set up spray a heavy duty conversion varnish.

Osmo makes a finish specifically for food areas, Top Oil, which might be more appropriate, but my guess is this contains slightly less toxic ingredients, a consideration which might not be necessary if I am not going to be preparing food on the slab.

Nelson

I'm using the polyx oil for the first time right now on a jatoba countertop. I've followed the methods outlined in the FWW article to the letter and am so far impressed with the results. The finish looks and feels sublime and the pores filled just as described in the article.

I have yet to install the counter and put it to use, so I have no comment about the durability. I figured there's only one way to find out. It's a fairly cheap experiment for me since it's for my own home rather than a customer project.
    --Mike Roberts

Well here's an update. I put down three coats of grain fill application following the recommendation in FWW, and then three coats of finish on a piece of walnut. After 36 dry time, I tried setting a wet glass on it. The water left an immediate mark. Like right away. I'm kind of mystified.

Nelson

Check the application instructions. You will probably find that you need to wait a fair bit longer than that for full cure. They say treat intently for 2 or 3 weeks. Also bear in mind that non plastic finishes don't behave like plastic finishes. Make yourself a set of coasters to keep drinks off the surface.

I'm a bit mystified as to why it is assumed that plastic finishes have to look like plastic. If you want an open looking finish, all you have to do is stop applying before the grain is full. Cheers

That's good advice Wayne. I'll give it a little more time and try again.

Nelson

I'm looking into using Osmo Top Oil and wanted to see what ever ended up happening here. After waiting for the full cure time, did you see an increase in durability? I only ever see opinions of love it or hate it, which makes me hesitate.