Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with basement spraying

Thanks to all who offered advice. I guess there's no way around exhausting outside and bringing in makeup air. My tentative plan is to get a harbor freight dust collector to suck air out of my finishing area to the outside and open a window in the other end of the basement to bring in fresh air. I don't have a window in my finishing room so I need to move air through ducts to the outside. I'll post back when I have things set up.Thanks again.

I'm also planning to use an attached garage bay for HVLP spray finishing and this is all very helpful information... I really appreciate everyone sharing their experience! I'm wondering if there are any specific things to consider when using non-waterbased finishes that could be flammable.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Staples View Post
    I'm also planning to use an attached garage bay for HVLP spray finishing and this is all very helpful information... I really appreciate everyone sharing their experience! I'm wondering if there are any specific things to consider when using non-waterbased finishes that could be flammable.
    Most certainly. Everything electrical needs to be explosion proof, including the exhaust fan, lights, and switches. The only way I know of around the explosion proof exhaust fan is to place the fan on the upstream side of the spray booth so that it is pushing air into it rather than sucking air out of it. To do that you would need a sealed spray booth, which is a lot more complicated than the simple curtain setup folks like me use.

John