Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Powermatic 3520C

New Powermatic 3520C

Just had a post on my Facebook page the new Powermatic 3520C wood lathe is on its way. I don't see it on their web page yet to post a link.

Here is what they had to say on Facebook.

There she is folks! The new 3520C
    • Moveable control box
    • Ergonomic spindle design
    • Adjustable riser blocks
    • Anti-rotation tailstock key
    • Digital indexing readout
    • Increased weight
    • Increased working capacity between centers
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Did they post any photos? Curious if it's an enlarged version of the Jet 1840.

There is one picture. If on facebook go to the Powermatic page and scroll down a little.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

It's, uh, different.

Under lathe lighting?

Looks like they got rid of the extended shaft motor, a definite plus.

Looks alot like Grizzly G0800.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    Under lathe lighting?

There's nothing like a string of blue LEDs to make the shavings on the floor sparkle.
    Bill

Sweet. I'll upgrade to this someday in a year or two!

Red
    RED

I'll be sure to follow who-ever is able to post the side by side comparison of this with the current crop from Grizzly or Laguna. If they're all now made in Asia...it will be interesting to see if the new Powermatic is significantly better enough to warrant what is surely to be the new and 'improved' (i.e. higher) pricing.

11. I wonder what the between centers length is, excluding the bed extension? The Powermatic and the Grizzly G0800 are both manufactured by the Harvey Industries Co......in China. Both use Delta Electronics Inverter/motor combinations out of Taiwan. I do like the pendant for the controls on the new model PM-3520C, and the splay of the legs for a wider stance, which generally produces a more stable lathe.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I talked to Nick Cook about it a little bit. I asked about the speed ranges on it and they stayed the same, 50 to 1200, and 50 to 3200, which I didn't like because I preferred the 1500 in low range on the A, and the almost 0 on the low end. Nick said you could call PM, and they would walk you through adjusting the speed ranges. That is a change. I have no clue about what the new electronics will do for it.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I talked to Nick Cook about it a little bit. I asked about the speed ranges on it and they stayed the same, 50 to 1200, and 50 to 3200, which I didn't like because I preferred the 1500 in low range on the A, and the almost 0 on the low end. Nick said you could call PM, and they would walk you through adjusting the speed ranges. That is a change. I have no clue about what the new electronics will do for it.
    Reed, when I was talking with you about the Laguna in KC, I had no idea that the new PM was only 50 feet away (I turn on a 3520B). I see that they have gone to a very similar "ergonomic spindle" as the Laguna.
    A link to my homepage is in my profile.

I notice that they indexing holes are missing and it mentions "Digital indexing readout". I'm curious about that feature and about locking the spindle while indexing. Does that give greater control and less than 10 degree steps?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I did forget one other feature, on the banjo, they have a tightening up mechanism similar to the Robust, with a wedge on both sides that pull together for a better grip on the tool rest posts rather than just the set screw. One upgrade they did to improve that was to mill a flat on the back side of the wedges (round bar stock to fit in a round hole, and then a wedge on the end to snug up to the tool rest post) and then put two set screws in banjo to go against the flat. The problem I had with the Robust version is that the wedges would spin/rotate when ever I took the post out, and some times I would have to finagle them around a bit to get the tool rest back into the banjo.

As for the spindle cone, I am not a fan of that. What it does is extend the mounting point farther off the headstock, which adds to vibration issues with any piece over a certain diameter (10 to 12 inches or so), and over 6 or so inches in length/depth. Yes, if you put the tailstock up against the piece, that eliminates the vibration, but for coring bowls, and finish cuts, the tailstock is in the way. Finish cuts are not a real problem if you know how to rub the bevel, but on coring it adds to the vibration.

I took a very close look at the Vicmark pivoting headstock lathe..... For sure, they did the pivoting headstock correctly, really heavy duty, and it resets perfectly without having to mess with it....

robo hippy