I've had the opportunity to 'restore' a lot of Bailey type planes over the last two years...in fact I wish I hadn't, maybe then I would've been more productive with actually building things (but that's another matter for another day). I've whittled down my bailey type planes to around 10, and most of them are from type 8 - 13, but my very best plane of the set is a later model 5 1/2, made in England, with the ribbed (and very heavy) casting. It took significantly more work to flatten the sole than for my other planes, but the plane performs absolutely beautifully now - even better than my older type planes, despite the ribbed frogs. I have a lot of the veritas planes, their bevel ups, bevel downs and customs, and the heavy casting gives this plane a similar feel in use to my veritas customs, which are some of the finest planes I've ever used.

Makes me wonder if the obsession with solid vs ribbed frogs is overblown, and if the added contact area of a solid frog adds much benefit, and also whether the rejection of newer types by many users is justified. I realise everyone's experience will be different , but I enjoy the discussions that come from everyone pitching in their 2 cents and I always learn something.