Thread: Incra Universal Precision Positioning Jig

Incra Universal Precision Positioning Jig

Not sure if this is the right forum, but perhaps it will be a start.

I just received an Incra Jig and Incra Gage.

These are both the old grey ones. Anyone have and love these that would share some ideas on how to get the most out of them? It did not come with any templates or anything else, but looks like it came with all the screws and a few page manual describing how to attach it to a hold down, and make a fence for it.

Try this and contact Incra or other members for the templates.
    http://www.incra.com/manuals/incra_jig.pdf

I do not know if it will work on the grey incra, but on my fancy schmancy one I make my own templates and scales. Just draw them up and then print them out. Need a halfway decent drawing program. But, printers these days are VERY accurate. And of course, mine are made to be easily read, big numbers, etc. I just snip them out and slide them in.

Ted -
    I can use quite a few drawing programs, but Inkscape comes to mind since Blender sounds like overkill. What are the key measurements I need? Obviously a center point. But is there an odd starting point that I am missing? I see pictures of the templates in the manual, but they don't seem to be to scale. But there seems to be a less than 1/2 way starting line. Perhaps it is half width but doesn't look so in the reproduction. But otherwsise I assume that you need a line every 1/2" for half inch fingers and every 3/8" for 3/8" and so on and so forth.. Or am I missing something?

I think the biggest thing to consider is the spacing of the teeth, which if I recall correctly is 1/32".
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Small View Post
    Ted -
    I can use quite a few drawing programs, but Inkscape comes to mind since Blender sounds like overkill. What are the key measurements I need? Obviously a center point. But is there an odd starting point that I am missing? I see pictures of the templates in the manual, but they don't seem to be to scale. But there seems to be a less than 1/2 way starting line. Perhaps it is half width but doesn't look so in the reproduction. But otherwsise I assume that you need a line every 1/2" for half inch fingers and every 3/8" for 3/8" and so on and so forth.. Or am I missing something?
    Nope, you are not missing anything at all. That is precisely what you do.

The process is to locate your bit vs the wood so you know where you are. Then you slide the template a little bit to align it with one of the marks. I had one of those gray ones years ago but I do not remember the initial aligning to bit sequence. Sorry.

You want the template to be a slight friction fit so you may have to do a bit of experimenting in that department. I make mine from business card stock, I think that is like 80# paper?

On a side note, while I was at it I made one for when I put the fence on my table saw to the left of the bed, just taped it down. Now when I am over there I can see where I am, very handy.

You might find someone in our Engravers Forum who is willing to make custom Incra Templates. If enough people wanted the service it would certainly bring the design and production costs down for everyone. There are engraving plastics available in lots of colors and thicknesses so a professional quality template would be easy to produce.

Something to consider.