Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Need help identifying this wood

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Lexington, SC
    Posts
    776

    Need help identifying this wood

    What type of wood do you folks think this is?

    Thanks
    Tim

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Posts
    524
    Could be Hickory, looks real close to it.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Lexington, SC
    Posts
    776
    Hey William ... that was my first thought, I seldom have Hickory to work with so I'm guessing really.

    Thanks for your help.
    Tim

    Quote Originally Posted by William Bachtel View Post
    Could be Hickory, looks real close to it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    11,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    Hey William ... that was my first thought, I seldom have Hickory to work with so I'm guessing really.
    Tim, you might shave and look at the end grain and compare it to hickory photos on the Wood Database. Might tell you if Hickory is possible. That website lists seven varieties.

    If it is Hickory, be prepared - Hickory is often pretty hard, much harder than ash, for example, especially when dry. I've heard otherwise gentle people use bad language while turning it. I thought it was no problem with sharp tools.

    If you like Hickory, bring a truck - I have big hickory and white oak logs.

    JKJ

  5. #5
    I've just finished turning two dozen hickory blanks and that looks familiar. Yes...it's quite hard when dry but it will also take an excellent sheen. Super sharp tools and turn as fast as you deem safe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Lexington, SC
    Posts
    776
    Hey John,

    Thanks for the specific info ... also the generous offer, one of these
    days I may take you up on that.

    Tim

    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Tim, you might shave and look at the end grain and compare it to hickory photos on the Wood Database. Might tell you if Hickory is possible. That website lists seven varieties.

    If it is Hickory, be prepared - Hickory is often pretty hard, much harder than ash, for example, especially when dry. I've heard otherwise gentle people use bad language while turning it. I thought it was no problem with sharp tools.

    If you like Hickory, bring a truck - I have big hickory and white oak logs.

    JKJ

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Lexington, SC
    Posts
    776
    Thanks for the feedback and turning tips John, I appreciate it.
    Tim

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Pineville, KY
    Posts
    250
    It might be Paulownia. It is a lightweight wood. If it feels pretty light, it's probably Paulownia. Is that hole in the heart of the tree?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    303
    My first thought was hickory, though I wouldn't take my word on it. If it is hickory, it will be quite hard (especially if dry), and likely will dull tools quickly. With sharp tools, it cuts cleanly and isn't much more difficult than most other woods, but does require more frequent trips to the grinder to freshen the edge. On the other hand, it sands out to a beautiful soft gloss finish and resists dings and scratches better than other softer woods. It's actually one of my favorite woods to turn.

  10. #10
    Looks like it could be Butternut to me...

  11. #11
    Where are you located?

    Looks like ash to me. If so, and if you are making a bowl, I vote to turn it upside down (bark side out). I love the smoke ring effect this gives in ash.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-19-2017 at 10:00 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Lexington, SC
    Posts
    776
    Paulownia, interesting thought ... there certainly is a resemblance, although it doesn't feel unusually light weight.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Beautiful Lexington, SC
    Posts
    776
    I'm in South Carolina, the piece I have is 3/4" X 12" X 3' so no bowls from this piece. Great suggestion though. Thanks !

    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Where are you located?

    Looks like ash to me. If so, and if you are making a bowl, I vote to turn it upside down (bark side out). I love the smoke ring effect this gives in ash.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    I'm in South Carolina, the piece I have is 3/4" X 12" X 3' so no bowls from this piece. Great suggestion though. Thanks !
    No kidding! I'm horrible with names, Tim, but are you a member of Palmetto Woodturners?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vadnais Heights, MN
    Posts
    1,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Looks like it could be Butternut to me...
    I'm with Barry on this one. Looks a lot like butternut to me....
    Doug Swanson

    Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •