Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jessem's New Pow R Tek Router w/ Speed Control Box (05200)

Question Jessem's New Pow R Tek Router w/ Speed Control Box (05200)

Has everyone seen Jessem's new router (LINK)? Is any one pre-ordering it?

I think its a cool idea and the fact that its not that much more than a PC 7518 motor makes it that much more tempting. In fact it kinda looks like it might just be a special version of the PC 7518. Maybe Jessem made a deal with Porter Cable to make this product for them. Love the idea of the display showing the RPMs as well as the external/remote control. My router is housed in a dust box so its not super convenient to access to change the speed.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Looks to me like the same router being sold as Portamate and MLCS brands. I looked at Portamate when I recently upgraded my router table/lift. Might be fine, but I couldn't find enough reviews that I trusted, so went with the PC 7518.

That remote box looks nice, though, if it's accurate. The speed control slider on the 7518 sometimes leaves me wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Looks to me like the same router being sold as Portamate and MLCS brands. I looked at Portamate when I recently upgraded my router table/lift. Might be fine, but I couldn't find enough reviews that I trusted, so went with the PC 7518.

That remote box looks nice, though, if it's accurate. The speed control slider on the 7518 sometimes leaves me wondering.
    Boy youre not kidding. All three of those look like the same model:

415-6561_pop.jpg53085-04-1000.jpg05200-2.jpg

And neither of them really look like the Porter Cable:

PTC-75182-3.jpg

Thats a shame. I was hoping it would be the tried and true 7518 theyd be using. That other generic one they are all using, who knows how good or bad it might be.

Hmmmm.... Makes be wonder if I could rig up a tachometer for my PC 7518 somehow...

Blog Entries
    Hard to get a foothold in an arena where PC 7518 and Milwaukee 5625 have ruled the roost for so long.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Hard to get a foothold in an arena where PC 7518 and Milwaukee 5625 have ruled the roost for so long.
    True. Jessem's new product is the first attempt Ive seen that I think might stand a chance.

Is there a box like that that would work with the 7518?

Is there a box like that that would work with the 7518?
    No, that would have to be specially made hooked up to a specially made 7518.

Now all they have to do is get over hanging the router from under the top and side mount it instead. These motors started to appear about 18 months ago but the first versions I know of had big problems with the speed controller and most failed. I have been led to believe those issues have been overcome but I think a CNC water cooled spindle is a better bet because they have a longer duty cycle and are very quite and have better chucks. A VFD is used with the CNC motor and that can be custom programmed to give way better motor control than a router motor.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Now all they have to do is get over hanging the router from under the top and side mount it instead. These motors started to appear about 18 months ago but the first versions I know of had big problems with the speed controller and most failed. I have been led to believe those issues have been overcome but I think a CNC water cooled spindle is a better bet because they have a longer duty cycle and are very quite and have better chucks. A VFD is used with the CNC motor and that can be custom programmed to give way better motor control than a router motor.
    True, but will any spindles fit in any of the lifts out there?

I need a 3 hp for my incra table but I'd much rather buy the Mocs motorized lift. I'm not sure how often I'd change speeds during use. My table already has a switch on the outside.

Seems like I change speeds almost as often as I change bits.

Seems like I change speeds almost as often as I change bits.
    As with a drill press, you should be. Unless going from one bit to a similar size/type/function bit.

It is possible to make a set up for a PC 7518 that is similar to the Jessem speed control box by using a Super PID to control the router's speed. I have been doing that with a PC 7519 for several years with accurate speed control. Here is what my set up looks like.

IMG_0330.jpgIMG_0329.jpg

Here is a link for more info on the Super PID: http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID-Home.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Eshleman View Post
    It is possible to make a set up for a PC 7518 that is similar to the Jessem speed control box by using a Super PID to control the router's speed. I have been doing that with a PC 7519 for several years with accurate speed control. Here is what my set up looks like.

IMG_0330.jpgIMG_0329.jpg

Here is a link for more info on the Super PID: http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID-Home.htm
    This is interesting. Now be confident I could bypass the speed control on my 7518.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

That does look interesting, Mike, and I suspect that it's more accurate, because it's taking its information directly from the spinning shaft of the router.

Now, if somebody would package the speed control with the on/off switch in a nice little box...oh wait, maybe that's what Jessem did.