Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slowing down a Delta 14" Bandsaw for resawing

easy way to slow it down would be to install a new motor of 1600 RPM. Make it three phase and use a vfd to adjust the rpm to suit.
    Bill

Two points:
    Sharpening Bandsaw Blade - I also use my Dremel. However, I prefer to use the cylindrical stone like the ones used for chainsaw sharpening. Get the smallest diameter you can find to approximate the curve of the gullet. I prefer to grind in the gullet being sure to touch the underside of the cutting tip. This way you are less likely to change the height of the tooth. Use a slow speed, and light touch, and move the Dremel back and forth to use the whole length of the stone.

More Power - Larger motors are kind of expensive. If you have a smaller 1/2 or 3/4 hp motor lying under the bench unused, pair it up with the one you have. This is easier if it is the same rpm motor. I now have 1/2 and 3/4 hp motors driving my 14" Delta and it works great. No more bogging down when resawing. I can provide more details if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested in how you pair up two motors on a band saw. Hard to picture how it would be done.

I'd be interested in how you pair up two motors on a band saw. Hard to picture how it would be done.
    Here's a photo. More details if you need them:

BSdualmotorSml.JPG

OK, that's a lot simpler than anything I could imagine. Thanks for sharing.

I used a Delta 14"er with a riser for years. I never changed the speed, I put a 1 hp motor on it and gasp - I used 3/4" blades on it. With a good blade, 1.5" skip tooth I think I could resaw to the capacity of the saw. It took a bit of a knack but I produced more guitar backs and sides than I can remember and this was often out of hard maple and rosewoods.

Contrary to those who say that this saw can't tension a 3/4" blade properly I'd say maybe not but it will do a great job of resawing with an improperly tensioned 3/4" blade!