Thread: Some of my Work

Some of my Work

Hi there!
    I have been building electric guitars and basses for 7 or 8 years(or a bit more).
    I generally hang out in Neanderthal Haven because I am trying to learn general hand tool wood working, but since there is a musical instrument forum here, I thoought I'd share a small portfolio. this is not all of my work. I'll share a link to my latest build on Youtube as well.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM4OvUrj6QjCO8BBgZUF-m_jIpRmFHsbcLg0KK1

<a href="https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipM4OvUrj6QjCO8BBgZUF-m_jIpRmFHsbcLg0KK1" target="_blank">

Links do not work. Nor does the youtube picture shown.

Thanks, George. Youtube/Google was having a problem about the time of the morning you posted that. I couldn't access my channel. 404 warning.
    If you would, will you please check them again and let me know? They are working fine for me, but that doesn't mean much.

Mike, I get a 404 error with the photo link. The video link is working for me.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks. Hate Google Photos.

Post #6 works. Looks like you keep busy! But,I encourage you to get into designing your own guitars,and depart from the Fender and Gibson designs. Fenders are pretty nice,but you will only get somewhere when you do original designs.

I have known better banjo players than Earl Scruggs. But,they only copy his style,and Scruggs still reigns. You do nice work.

Thanks, George. There are a couple of guitars in that portfolio that are my own design, but I built the Teles because they are a basic electric guitar design, and I believed(and still do) that I should start with the basic design(s)and understand that first.
    I have my own design in the works, but my lumber supply place closed down, so I'm trying to track down my options there right now.

Mike,where do you live? There are plenty of places on the internet that sell nice figured(if you want) woods.

I'm going to confess: I'm building a tele myself. First one I made since the 1950's ! I got a Standel amp that was used by every great player back in the 50's. Only 50 ever built,but Chet Atkins,Joe Maphis and many others had one. A real nice guy to deal one bought the name,and builds exact copies of Standels. He even hunts diown the same 15" speaker that was used in the model I have as used by Chet Atkins. They are not cheap!! Look him up. I am experimenting,trying to re capture the remarkable tone that Buddy Merril had with the Lawrence Welk orchestra. He was a teenager at the time,didn't read music(but had great talent!,and had a Standel. Lost it in a flood. You can get you tubes of him playing. He did use a tele and other fender models. But still got that same tone somehow.
    Last edited by george wilson; 06-25-2017 at 9:47 AM.

Buddy’s Boogie rocks!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I'm in Front Royal.
    I have been buying my woods from Northland Forest Products in Manasas VA., but they closed doors in Manasas, and the closest other place for them is 60 miles South of me. No figured wood, just plain. Most of the figured wood is fairly costly, so I stay away from it unless I can get it cheap. I have looked online, and either it is "instrument" or "tone" wood, and $80 for a body blank of Ash, Alder or Poplar, or it's a lumber place that wants a large order, or shipping is a fat item itself. Neither of those are an option for me at the moment, and to be honest, I have to save up $100-$200 at a time, which is about my upper limit cashwise, and takes a while. Right now I actually have too many irons in the fire, anyway.
    As for your tele, build it. They are a simple, basic design that is great fun to build and to play. I've played a lot of guitars in the 30+ years I've been playing, but if you can't do it with a tele, it ain't the guitar's fault.
    I actually want to move to acoustic guitars, but will need to tool up a bit, first.

BTW, Chet was THE MAN.
    Last edited by Mike Baker 2; 06-25-2017 at 2:11 PM.