Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you use your dovetail jig?

I have made a couple with an Incra positioner, but have not had the time to work with it very much, as my workshop time has been limited.

Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Blog Entries
    I use my Leigh every few years when I need to do drawers. I also used it on a 16" high toy box years ago.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Sold the Leigh and kept the Omnijig so I would have one when I needed it..

I use mine for uniform multiple drawer cabinet jobs that require fast and strong joints.

No.

I have purchased one Porter Cable dovetail jig 15 years ago... I used it just for a single small project. Lap joint is good enough for me... I have 25 year old drawers perfect even after a lot o abuse.

I have a few. Not any high end fixtures. They work. When I need them, they are there for me.

I have a HF dovetail jig with a Grizzly template guide mounted on a little box shaped stand with a drawer to store setup jigs and wrenches for adjustments. I use it for all nicer drawers, furniture, built in cabinets - sometimes and shop drawers, sometimes. When I use it, I do fronts and backs, it takes very little additional time. I do not have nearly enough patience to cut them by hand.

I am far from a purist. I have shop drawers built with pocket screws too. And drawers for the house that are just glued and stapled together. But when I want a nicer joint, I use my dovetail jig. I use it on solid wood and good plywood (like Baltic birch). For lesser materials, I use a lesser joint.

Yes, I use my Leigh when drawers are part of the build. Use it for both through and half-blind.

I had a Leigh jig (D4) for years and used it, but I just sold it. I found I like cutting dovetails by hand. Every time I used the Leigh jig, I had to go back to the manual and re-educate myself. Cutting by hand is all muscle memory and the more you do it, the better you get.

I have a D1600. It's set up perfectly, I cut a couple trial joints with it to get everything perfectly aligned. The Porter-Cable router still has that dovetail bit installed and stored with the bit in a foam cup to hold the setting for 1/2" stock and the D1600 has been hanging on my shop wall for the past 8 years. It's on the list to be sold when I retire (for the 3rd time!) and sell off all the stuff I don't use. It's going to be a long list as I've been collecting good tools for over 40 years!
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

I had a PC that I bought with a batch of other tools. Sold it after not using it for over a decade. I think it was used by my friend on one project. Hopefully it's being used by its new owner.

My dad used his for lots of projects. Pretty sure it was a craftsman. I hated the sound of his router, just excruciating.

Well I doubt Ill ever have an interest in cutting them by hand, and I cant see myself ever needing to make a drawer or box deeper then 12" so I was planning on getting the 12" Leigh jig just to have around when I do make drawers.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I bought a Leigh D4 jig, but found I can make sliding dovetail joints on my router table. Eliminates having a double board on the front of my drawers, and they are strong.

I have a Keller jig and I use it all the time, at least whenever I make drawers. It's fast, and doesn't require any setup. I have a Leigh jig I got a couple of years ago as part of a purchase involving a router I was interested in. It's probably the most elaborate thing I have ever seen, and the manual is very long, extensive and detailed. I think I've used it once.

I have a Keller jig also. I use it mostly for drawers - love the simplicity of no adjustments.