Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stacked dado set for "quarter-inch" plywood?

Stacked dado set for "quarter-inch" plywood?

Does anybody know of a stacked dado set that will cut a dado for "quarter-inch" plywood? That is, it would get down to .19" or so. And it would need to be adjustable, because "quarter-inch" plywood is not all the same thickness.

Blog Entries
    I think you'll have more success simply buying a blade that cuts the width your after from 'carbide processors' or some other blade maker.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I think you'll have more success simply buying a blade that cuts the width your after from 'carbide processors' or some other blade maker.
    Plywood from my hardwood dealers ranges from .18" to .24". A single fixed-width blade won't do what I need.

Haven't used any in several years, but the way I remember it that would just be the two saws with a small spacer. Since the only thing that two kinds of 1/4 plywood have in common is niether measure a real 1/4

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Plywood from my hardwood dealers ranges from .18" to .24". A single fixed-width blade won't do what I need.
    All the bigger tooling suppliers will custom make and/or grind what you need. I had a custom dado set made for some specific cuts I use, from Royce Ayr, (for my Euro slider) and it wasn't a whole lot more than a stock set of blades.

I guess I'm just used to always dealing with a supplier that actually makes their product - but when I need something I just call one of them and they are always able to come up with a solution.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Jamie, what if you bought a single blade that was flat ground, and made 2 passes? It's tedious, but it should work.

With a DRO on your table saw and a good 0.125 blade on your saw you can get the width you want in two slightly overlapping passes. I can , and do, get that width in two passes without any setup. No need to buy anything, except maybe a DRO for he saw, which will greatly improve everything that you cut in the future. Oh, it will take a little math too, but it's simple math.

Charley

The Freud box joint cutter set can be set for 1/4" or 3/8".

Jamie, I agree with Frederick, except to say that you usually need a slight bit of slop in a groove when it comes time to assemble it with glue in the joint. So before you buy new equipment, experiment with what you have.

To elaborate a bit on Frederick's suggestion, use one 1/8" outside blade from a dado stack. If you don't have one you can use any flat-top blade. Set the fence on your table saw or a stop in the miter gauge, etc. to the distance of the dado to the reference edge. Then move it over the required distance to complete the dado. For example if the dado needs to be .20" wide you would move it over (.2-.125 = .075" or about 1/16". If you have many to do, make a spacer.

Charles Lent, you are too hip for me. What is a DRO? Google says it might be a Debt Relief Order, a Domestic Relations Order, or hydroponically grown marijuana.// I can see how the latter might help.

Doug

Digital read out???

Blog Entries

You want an adjustable groover, not a dado set.

Use a flat ground blade like Frederick suggested to give you a flat bottom joint and a kermaker from bridge city tools or a shop made version to match the width using two passes http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...kerfmaker.html.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

Ah, there's the rub. I'm betting custom job. May not be as bad as one might think. I have my blades all ground to .125" so that all my jigs and measuring tools stay consistent through cutter swaps. The occasional bargain aside, I find the made to order prices to be within a few bucks of a mass marketed cutter of equal quality. Maybe two thinner outer blades (custom) where the teeth overlap like a dado and a few shims(?). It wouldn't take too many lineal feet at one pass to make up the investment.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I know this is a simple minded approach but it has worked for me. I have a router bit set that is made for plywood and the bits are a little narrower than nominal. I have used them many times on 1/4 and 3/4 and I have never gotten a fit I considered unsatisfactory.