Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock slide

Glock slide

I have a customer that has requested to have a Glock 19 slide engraved for a retiring Army Officer. The problem is that I only have a CO2 laser and I'm pretty sure that is a fiber laser operation. I told my customer that I would try to help put him in touch with someone who could engrave the slide for him. I got about 2.5 weeks to get this done, so if anyone can help us out please get in touch with me about time and cost.

Thanks....Terry Wade
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

If the slide is coated like powder coat, Blued or some other coating its possible a co2 can do it. I had a Ruger that was cerkoted and engraved awesome on my co2
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I'm sure there are people that are closer than me but I do this type of work on a daily basis. Let me know if I can help.

Used to be in Raleigh....moved out of to Murphy NC. You can send them my way if you want (CADD Graphics). That being said, you should be able to engrave the tenifer (slide coating) with your CO2.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

You didn't say where you are located. Did you get it engraved?
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I'm way down in Texas, but for what its worth, I engraved a Glock 42 and 43 slide yesterday for retiring HPD Sergeant and Officer.
    devo_1.jpgdevo_2.jpgsergeant_1.jpgsergeant_2.jpg
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

John you do beautiful work.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Nice John
    I don't think the OP is coming back for answers .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bill / Bert,

Thank you for the compliment. I probably...well, I know I spend too much time when I get engraving requests like this. I already had the patrol officers badge (with #) vector created, but not the Sergeant's badge. Spent 6 hours creating the Sergeant badge vector. Problem is, when you only have 9mm width, it takes a lot of experimenting and testing. The laser is super accurate, however I have to engrave for the human eye. Once I get the drawing just right, I have to deal with laser alignment for absolute center. The slogans on the side were a no brainer.

HPD Sergeant was given his today. Officer will get his on Friday. Hopefully I will get some retirement engraving business out of this.

yea and it should be easier the next time I hope
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Glocks engrave fine with a CO2 laser. The black coating is just phosphate and burns off to reveal the metal underneath. And you don't need to worry about rust, because the rust-proofing treatment Glock uses won't be affected. That said, if the gun is get a lot of use afterward, you could have problems with the phosphate wearing around/over the engraving. It's basically like engraving painted metal: the engraving is only as permanent as the paint.

(A fiber laser can certainly mark into the actual metal, but that's both a feature and a bug. The rust-proofing only penetrates the metal a few thousandths, and if you go deeper than that, the exposed metal could rust. Probably not be a problem for a "presentation" pistol, which is what this sounds like.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kleiber View Post
    I'm way down in Texas, but for what its worth, I engraved a Glock 42 and 43 slide yesterday for retiring HPD Sergeant and Officer.
    You had the slide recoated after engraving, right?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    You had the slide recoated after engraving, right?
    Thats an interesting question, do you instruct that it needs recoating and or do you insist on having it recoated or what do you reasonably do?
    355 - 10400 : )

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Stewart View Post
    Thats an interesting question, do you instruct that it needs recoating and or do you insist on having it recoated or what do you reasonably do?
    Unless I'm badly misreading those pictures, you did pretty deep engraving (with a fiber laser?), but the bottom of the letters is still black. That can't happen without some kind of recoating: the original black coating just isn't that thick.

And yes, if the engraving goes more than 10 thou or so into the metal, I'd recommend some kind of treatment, because that's deeper than the factory rust-proofing penetrates. Once again, the black stuff is strictly cosmetic: you can bead-blast it off and end up with a "brushed chrome" look that still won't rust.

I've been engraving guns since the '70's... some get paint, some get re-blued or coated by the owners, some I've gold filled, but a great many of them leave here bare metal, and I've never once had anyone tell me the engraving rusted. A gun that's used and cleaned regularly usually won't rust because of residual oil. The oils in your skin will inhibit rust. I just tell my customers to rub a little oil the engraving once in awhile. One fix if a customer likes the silver but is worried about rust is a quick coat of clear fingernail polish; wipe in, smear the excess off with your finger, let dry a couple minutes, wipe off the residual with a piece of old cotton sheet and some DNA. Another way is to mask everything but the engraving, take a can of clear spray enamel, make sure it sprays good, then hit the engraving with one quick back/forth mist from 1 foot or so away. You probably won't even notice it on the metal around the engraving, but if so a quick DNA wipe will remove it.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle