Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kundig Uniq Sander Disaster

Kundig Uniq Sander Disaster

About 3 weeks ago I purchased a Kundig Uniq edge sander from Holzher US. This is a very expensive machine, it was purchased NEW not used.

I was told it was in stock and could be delivered asap.

It finally arrived after 3 weeks and countless phone calls and emails, most of which went unanswered, and I am shocked at it's condition.

The machine was just shrink wrapped on a very small pallet, smaller than the machine. So while the shrink wrap was not torn the machine took a beating, bent several of the tables.

The machine was very dusty, dirty in fact.

The cast iron tops, which should have been coated in cosmoline or wax, were dry and had rusty hand prints.

No manual or any paperwork.

The power cord (this is a 3 phase machine) was very dirty like one gets laying on a shop floor, and you could tell someone just pulled off a attached plug and coiled up the cord.

Missing multiple parts, etc.

This machine must have been their floor model or used. I have several European machines and none of them have come this way before. They are usually very well crated.

I've sent them pictures and asked for some resolution.

I'm hoping they make it right, but with their track record so far of not answering calls makes me worried.

Call the credit card company and cancel payment. That should get their attention and then let them contact you. There may be a deadline of complain in a certain time or you bought it.
    Bill

Wow!
    sorry to hear that. I bought the same sander from Holzher about 5 years ago. Mine came perfectly crated and wrapped. In fact to date it was the best crated machine I have ever received, maybe better than my Martin TS.
    Yours does not sound like it came from Kundig?
    I just looked a few weeks ago if Holzher was still selling Kundig and I didnt see them listed on their website. In fact I don't think Holzher is listed as a North American dealer for Kundig? I may be wrong? I'll check again.
    Holzher has to make that right for you!

Just thought of something else. If your machine was truly new, it would have NOT had a cord installed at all.

Agree. Stop payment immediately.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Just thought of something else. If your machine was truly new, it would have NOT had a cord installed at all.

Some machines do get tested before going out the door.

Btw, that's a pretty sweet edge sander. I'd be cheesed off too if it showed up in anything less than immaculate condition. My guess is it was used as a showroom demo machine since it had been cleaned, powered up, and poorly repackaged

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    ... My guess is it was used as a showroom demo machine since it had been cleaned, powered up, and poorly repackaged
    Mine as well ^^^ Or, a machine that was returned by a previous customer for whatever reason and just deemed "Good to send back out". As much as I would love to say that this sort of thing is a rare occurrence, you would be surprised how many other dealers have tried to get away with it. I am thinking of two that I used to work for. "That machine was practically new. What's his problem with it?", LOL. I recall on any number of occasions having to basically tell management, "No, he paid for a brand new machine. We can't send a demo unit without asking first".

To the OP, I'm sorry to hear about this. If I were in your shoes, I don't know that I would go to the nuclear option of initiating a chargeback just yet but I absolutely would call every day and document every interaction and let them know that this will get escalated to the nuclear option if they don't step up to the plate. I hope you get this fixed as quickly as possible.

Erik

Unfortunately, they required a wire payment for the machine, so I cannot stop payment...

Regarding the cord, that is what I thought... None of my 3 phase machines have come with a cord attached either.

The machine is without a doubt a floor model / demo unit. I still cannot believe they just wrapped it in plastic, put it on a small pallet and shipped it. Honestly, how did they not think it would be damaged in shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Spotorno View Post
    Unfortunately, they required a wire payment for the machine, so I cannot stop payment...

Regarding the cord, that is what I thought... None of my 3 phase machines have come with a cord attached either.

The machine is without a doubt a floor model / demo unit. I still cannot believe they just wrapped it in plastic, put it on a small pallet and shipped it. Honestly, how did they not think it would be damaged in shipping?
    I won't presume to speak for the dealer but two of the companies I used to work, at one point of another, delivered crates where, after the customer sent me pics, asked myself, "How the heck did the warehouse think that was going to arrive in one piece?". In my case, it was probably because the warehouse didn't have or couldn't get the unit you ordered in a reasonable amount of time and didn't want to lose the order or (unfortunately) just thought the customer would not care if they unloaded a demo unit on him. And some shops don't care but as a rep, I would have never knowingly try that without proposing it to the customer first.

I won't tell you what to do but here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. First, do you need this machine for production use? Do you have jobs waiting? Forget your dissatisfaction for a moment. Do you need that machine up and running now? If so, I might let them know that I was unhappy but that I might be willing to keep the machine if they were willing to refund me a portion of the price, send the spare parts on an agreed-upon timeline, and extend the warranty. Or possibly you just have a bad taste in your mouth and want to return it to go another route? If that was the case (and that's 100% your call) I would communicate that I was willing to secure legal counsel unless they worked with me to my satisfaction. This is for sure above small claims court. Again, just how I would handle it. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Erik

My Kundig had no cord when it arrived. It was on a very stout pallet and enclosed completely with plywood. And when I got inside, the machine was completely enveloped in a silver foil wrap. The machine had that "new machine" smell that lasted for months.

You could email Kundig the serial# and find out when it was manufactured and shipped.

I checked last night and I don't see Kundig on Holzher's website and I don't see any U.S. dealers on the Kundig website?

I have been interacting with Holzer on an inquiry about a Kundig Uniq and was told by the salesman that they are indeed still the US dealer for Kundig and that their website is under redesign.

Thanks so much for this report. This kind of thing really turns me off on dealers. Please post updates on how Holzer handles it. I personally would not accept a discount unless very deep, like 50%,

Too late to be of help now, but in my world any vendor of a retail product that insists on wire transfer payments is a vendor I don't do business with absent an ironclad contract or buyer's rights agreements. There is no legitimate reason to insist on wire transfer for retail purchases. Any vendor who does immediately raises a red flag as to their real intent in my mind - why does this outfit want a pure financial transfer without any contractual / buyer's rights language around it? Probably not something that benefits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    Too late to be of help now, but in my world any vendor of a retail product that insists on wire transfer payments is a vendor I don't do business with absent an ironclad contract or buyer's rights agreements. There is no legitimate reason to insist on wire transfer for retail purchases. Any vendor who does immediately raises a red flag as to their real intent in my mind - why does this outfit want a pure financial transfer without any contractual / buyer's rights language around it? Probably not something that benefits you.
    Hi Steve, this seems pretty common on the industrial machines. I know that Felder USA, Martin Canada, Houfek Canada all charge a 50% deposit on order (all are custom built) and 50% on shipment from the factory. Apparently this Kundig was not a custom built machine. The Holzer rep did say that they stock the Kundig Uniq but not the Kundig Uniq S, and they stock single and dual head 43" sanders but not 37" sanders....joe

I have machines from Felder, Martin and SCM (Minimax). All of them wanted payment up front. Felder has been the only one that allowed me to make the deposit via CC and the rest via check or wire transfer. So having Holz-Her/Weinig ask for the balance up front did not seem any different. Contracts were signed.

I did hear back from them today:

1. It was their "Demo" machine!!! However, at no time did they state that they were going to sell me their "Demo" unit. I paid for new.
    2. The sales person apologized for the inadequate packaging that went on the machine, basically took the machine off of the floor wrapped it plastic and dropped it on a pallet.

Heh, do not see how any manuf could let a machine sit on their "demo" area with rusty full hand prints on the cast iron table surface!

i stated that I wanted a replacement "New" machine, and when I get the new machine they can at the same time pickup the old one.

He stated that he would call me back tomorrow with more information after he discusses it with everyone.

I'm not sure I would purchase from them again. I called and left VM / emails several times with no response. Honestly, I had to threaten them to get a response, poor customer service.

We'll see what they do tomorrow.