Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 80w EFR Tube Engraving Quality and Beginner Questions

Hi Daniel,

Here are some samples of once I started to get a feel for the settings that work for our lasers. There is a min time per pixel that our machines are capable of and that will give you a really good idea of what settings you can get at different dpi. My square tests helped me to figure out that for my machine the min time per pixel is about 275dpi and 300mm/s. I might be able to push that a bit more but that is pretty much it. That means I can go 550mm/s at 150dpi. The higher dpi also affects the burn though so it is indeed complicated as Russ found out. I also found that for my 2in lens the effective spot size on wood is about .08mm. Any finer and my pictures started to get darker and lose clarity without me increasing the power. This means that my x resolution is limited by my min time per pixel and my y resolution is limited by my spot size. I might have a go at setting different x and y dpi to take advantage of that as much as possible. For a 5x7 family photo with small faces 275 dpi barely cuts it. 300 dpi would be more appropriate but I am not sure if my machine can do that yet.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HG...46kCCqcH4AiO5g

I have also learned that for output clarity you want as big of an unsharp radius as you can get without loosing detail on the critical parts of the image like the eyes. Also the ximagic stucki error diffusion dither plugin for photoshop gives way better results than other dither methods and especially more than the rdworks one which is probably just ordered dithering. I searched for the stucki method after seeing the difference it made for the Trotec machines.

Another tip is don't start with a mostly white, mostly black or pale colors for contrast image. Any overshoots in physical settings or image edits that you do will totally ruin the clarity and won't help you learn very much. Start with the sample image in the Trotec engraving guide so that you can compare with their engrave sample photos. I attached the original photo that was embedded in their pdf. That helped me a lot too .
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx...3JtZEVYZ3N5MG8

FYI it seems like I can't even upload a 2mb image now as it exceeds the 107kb file size? That is pretty useless...
    Last edited by Steven Taitinger; 07-04-2017 at 5:44 PM.
    80W EFR ZS1250 RF7050 RDWorks 8.1.19 Windows 7