Thread: Anyone ever seen this?

Blog Entries

Anyone ever seen this?

Doesn't seem to be a stable way of drilling to me with the offset. I do notice that there is some "universal type" applications on the drill chick to maybe compensate for the offset, but this just looks like it would drill something aweful!
    http://gas.speedsociety.com/how-to-d...%2F&source=gmg
    Last edited by Fred Voorhees; 06-06-2017 at 5:39 PM.

Hmm, never seen it before. Maybe invented by someone at Mazda!

Blog Entries
    Wasn't that called the Wankle engine or something like that?

That method looks like a joke. Do a search for rotary broach. The method was invented about 100 years ago. The corners will need to be cleaned up. i do not believe the tooling can drill a hole by itself. I think you drill a conventional round hole then ream it with a rotary broach.
    Bill

http://www.polygonsolutions.com/how-...oaching-works/

Or it can get done with interpolation on CNC like everyone does it these days. We use interpolation to create about 4000 stepped mortise and tenon joints shaped like this in heavy steel mooring system components every year. Cheers

I don't understand how interpolation makes for a square hole. Help me wrap my mind around this.

Here is a photo of the 'tenon' end of a square connection lifted from our website. I can't lay my hands on a photo of the

matching 'mortise' but it givescnc-machining-master-1024x1024.jpg
    you an idea of what is routinely achieved. The main picture is the relevant one. Our products use several variations in shape and size. This one is from a 75 ton rated hook but we do them up to 850 ton capacity. These are in ports all over the world. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Yes. Invented buy a 17 year old in Germany not Mazda although they really pushed it for years. Great sports car motor but major wear issues with the internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    That method looks like a joke. Do a search for rotary broach. The method was invented about 100 years ago. The corners will need to be cleaned up. i do not believe the tooling can drill a hole by itself. I think you drill a conventional round hole then ream it with a rotary broach.
    Bill

http://www.polygonsolutions.com/how-...oaching-works/
    I wonder if an early version of that is what Roy Underhill was demonstrating on one of his shows. It was a two fingered mechanism (as I recall) that used a steel template. It made quite a racket in use but produced square holes. The corners needed a little touchup.

This method of drilling a square hole has been around for over 100 years.

I havent seent that one, but I have seen this one: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I wish I had the vision to imagine something like that. That in itself would be fine. Actually drilling that? I think I broke my drill bit and possibly my wrist just watching it! :-)

Jeff
    Athens, AL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I havent seent that one, but I have seen this one: LINK
    That's really cool and all, but what do you do for pieces that aren't 1" wide and a max of 1/2" deep because that guide holder is pretty lame