Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to Jamie Buxton!

Congratulations to Jamie Buxton!

I just picked up the latest FWW and in the Gallery section, I see a tall, curved dresser. It was built by Jamie Buxton, Belmont CA. It's a pretty piece, done in Sapele.

Jamie, that's quite a piece of work. I'd love to hear more about how you decided on that shape and to hear about any special details that aren't obvious in the FWW picture.

Congratulations!
    Fred

Frederick, thank you!
    For Creekers who may not have FWW handy, here's two photos of the dresser. The first one is what FWW published. The second one has a human in it to give some sense of scale.
    DSC00519small.jpg
    DSC00522small.jpg

I got interested in pushing the form of the dresser. We're all accustomed to rectalinear short things, so I went away from that. This dresser is tall and skinny. Also, there are very few straight lines in it.
    The other idea I had in my head was that long squiggle dribbling randomly down the front. The squiggle is the pulls for all of the drawers.
    The dresser is sapele except for drawer interiors which is beech. The panels on the sides are bent-laminated plywood which I laid up from veneers I cut with a bandsaw.

The little notch at the top is mostly decoration, but it also serves to capture the charging cable for a cellphone.

One more photo. In it you can better see the shape of the drawer front.

tallskinnydrawersmall.jpg

Beautiful work! Truly a magnificent job and I love the Sapele choice for the shape.

Terrific work. Congratulations!
    Chuck Taylor

Congratulations on deserved recognition. I see it as space age linenfold. The only element I'm not sure of is the "back splash". Don't dislike it, just not sure I like it.

Nice work Jamie, I ilke it alot that piece would have caught my attention if it saw it in a gallery.
    Aj

This piece really caught my eye when the FWW magazine arrived. A very impressive design and execution. Thanks for posting the additional photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    One more photo. In it you can better see the shape of the drawer front.

tallskinnydrawersmall.jpg
    Wow. The thought of having to fit every drawer so perfectly that the pulls line up perfectly intimidates the devil out of me. (Mine fitment is pretty good, but probably not good enough to pull this off. Just wow.) And I love the beech drawers!

Congratulations again!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Wow. The thought of having to fit every drawer so perfectly that the pulls line up perfectly intimidates the devil out of me. (Mine fitment is pretty good, but probably not good enough to pull this off. Just wow.) And I love the beech drawers!

Congratulations again!
    Fred
    +1. Excellent work and imagination Jamie! I haven't seen the FWW article yet. I assume the drawer fronts were shaped as a single board before cutting into individual fronts?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Beautifully executed, and congrats on the Gallery selection!

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I just picked up the latest FWW and in the Gallery section, I see a tall, curved dresser. It was built by Jamie Buxton, Belmont CA. It's a pretty piece, done in Sapele.

Jamie, that's quite a piece of work. I'd love to hear more about how you decided on that shape and to hear about any special details that aren't obvious in the FWW picture.

Congratulations!
    Fred
    I saw that yesterday and thought the same thing! Excellent.

JKJ

Jamie,

Outstanding craftsmanship, its truly Fine Woodworking.
    Congratulations on your exceptional design and beautiful workmanship.

Wowsa.... that's a beautiful piece! Congratulations, Jamie!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    +1. Excellent work and imagination Jamie! I haven't seen the FWW article yet. I assume the drawer fronts were shaped as a single board before cutting into individual fronts?
    Yes. The fronts started as three pieces of 4/4 lumber. I edge-glued two to produce a board 18" wide or so, and six feet tall. I bandsawed the third piece into the squiggle shape, and glued it to the front of the wide board. Then I used a router jig to form the edges of the squiggle, undercutting them for good grip. After that, there was a lot of work with a right-angle grinder. I started with structured-carbide disks, and moved to finer and finer sandpaper. There was a lot of sanding dust. When it was all the right shape, I crosscut the plank into individual drawer fronts.

The fronts are applied fronts. Because of the appearance, I needed to run the grain of the fronts up-down. Had I tried to make that the structural front of the drawers, hygroscopic movement would have interfered with the drawers sliding smoothly in and out. So each drawer has a full drawer box (beech), with horizontal grain direction in the front, back, and sides. The show fronts (the sapele) are secured with screws coming through from the rear.